Shifting to Software-Defined
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Composable Infrastructure in the real world

PaulMiller

Dell is at it again, trying to convince the market that Composable Infrastructure isn’t a reality yet. I suppose I can’t blame them—when you don’t have feet to stand on, it’s easier to swipe at the feet of your competitors.

Last December when we introduced HPE Synergy, Dell Fellow Robert Hormuth said that “composable infrastructure isn’t a practical solution – yet.” See my response to this first volley. Leading into HPE Discover last week, Robert Hormuth posted another missive claiming that “composable infrastructure is not ready for its prime time debut, yet.” Again, that’s what someone who doesn’t have a composable infrastructure solution would say.

Ric Lewis, SVP & GM of HPE Converged Data Center Infrastructure, recapped these competitor responses during his spotlight session at Discover 2016. Ric delivered his own reality check. “It’s both possible and practical, and I’ve got 3 customers at Discover that are talking about using it.”

HPE had 3 customers on stage with us sharing how HPE Synergy, the industry’s first composable infrastructure, will help them deliver cloud-like agility and simplify IT operations.

So let’s set the record straight.

Not only is Composable Infrastructure ready for prime time, it has already debuted and is receiving critical acclaim. In fact, I don’t want you to have to take my word for it. Here’s what one of our first HPE Synergy customers is saying.

HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology

Before it’s even available to the general market, HPE Synergy is ready to transform how HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology uses their infrastructure technology to deliver value.

Jim Hudson, Co-Founder and Chairman of HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology, joined Ric Lewis on stage at Discover to share their experience with HPE Synergy. When asked about the benefits they’ve seen so far, Mr. Hudson replied, “Immediately it provides an increase in speed. This Spring, it would take about 2 days to run a patient’s whole human genome. We’ve already deployed onto Synergy and we can now do that same application in 45 minutes.”

And getting to that point was incredibly fast. Mr. Hudson summarized their setup: “It came in on [a] Monday morning … Peyton [our CIO] couldn’t keep his hands off of it, plugged it in, and by the time your [HPE] team got there on Tuesday morning, it was running.”

Keeping it real

So don’t be fooled. Composable infrastructure is real, it’s alive in HPE Synergy, and delivering real business value for customers. And in the case of HudsonAlpha, business value isn’t just about the most efficient use of IT resources to process huge amounts of data—it’s about improving the human condition and saving lives.

Well, Dell… You can’t get much more “prime time” than that.

Learn more

Gartner recently published a report called Infrastructure and Operations Leaders Should Examine Nine Critical Criteria When Assessing Composable Infrastructures. In addition to vendor evaluation criteria, there’s a lot more that you’ll find useful in the Gartner publication, including: a look at the key challenges with composable infrastructure projects; a list of the functions that IT architects and designers should consider; and an overview of a 4-step decision-making process. It’s a quick and useful read.

Related posts 

Curious how can HPE help you better if you are a Dell or EMC customer? We can point you in the right direction.

Paul

Paul Miller
VP of Marketing, HPE

twitter.gif@HPE_ConvergedDI
linkedin.gifPaul Miller

About the Author

PaulMiller

Paul Miller is VP of Marketing for the HPE Software-Defined and Cloud Group business unit. The SDCG organization is responsible for marketing for HPE Synergy, HPE OneView, and Hyper Converged Solutions portfolio.

Events
Nov 27 - 29
Madrid, Spain
HPE Discover 2018 Madrid
Learn about all things HPE Discover 2018 in Madrid, Spain, 27 - 29 November, 2018.
Read more
See posts for
dates/locations
HPE at 2018 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2018.
Read more