Shifting to Software-Defined
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPE Synergy: the journey from order to packaging to shipment

Diana_Z

After intense engineering, product and customer testing, HPE Synergy will be shipping in January 2017 to customers who have placed their orders. Built from the ground up to bridge traditional and new IT, HPE Synergy provides user with the agility, speed and continuous delivery needed for today’s applications. HPE Synergy composes physical and virtual compute powered by Intel®, storage, and fabric pools into any configuration for any application through a single interface.

Today, I visited the Houston factory to see for myself the assembling and shipping process. All is on track, so customers will start receiving their orders the first week of January.

As I walked the manufacturing floor, I had the opportunity to ask a few questions to the different teams and wanted to share the process in preparing a HPE Synergy unit.

Assembling the unit

The first step in the process is to assemble the rack. This includes installing the frames, frame rails, PDUs, filling any empty spaces, installing power and network cables and brackets. On average, 2-3 people are involved in this process, which takes about half a day per Synergy unit.  

Filling up Synergy-min.jpg

back cabling Synergy-min.jpg      power cabling Synergy-min.jpg 

Testing the infrastructure

The next major step is ensuring the infrastructure works. First, a Test Technician checks that all components contained in the bill of material (BOM) are physically installed and verified electronically.  Next, both interactive tests and non-inactive tests are performed, such as configuration testing, diagnostic tests, DIMMs and processor load balancing, and spin testing/load testing of drives.

The test process is usually managed by one or two tech persons and can take about 24 hours. As part of the testing process, he or she will monitor the test executive dashboard for status and failures, determine the root cause assessment of any failures if they occur, and complete the repair process. During this phase, customers can also log in remotely to see their infrastructure; however, not much can happen as specific test scripts are controlling the unit.

verifying Synergy BOM-min.jpg

testing Synergy-min.jpg

Packaging up the infrastructure

The pre-final touch point is preparing and packing the HPE Synergy unit for departure. Final cleaning, such as wiping and vacuuming, is performed. If labels are ordered, they are installed. Next is the packing. If a rack is 2 frames or less (like the one I was able to follow) it gets shipped in one box; for racks with 3 or 4 frames, depending on configurations and weight, frames and separate parts may get shipped separately and installed at the customer site.

Labeling Synergy-min.jpgwrapping up Synergy-min.jpgboxing up synergy-min.jpg

Shipping the infrastructure

Shipping is the final area, where a final weight is taken. A fully loaded frame alone can weigh up to 625 pounds; a fully loaded infrastructure weighs upward of 2500 pounds with 4 frames.

When the necessary paperwork is completed, the HPE Synergy unit is shipped by air or ground to the customer’s site. The complete packaging of the infrastructure can take about half a day.

moving Synergy-min.jpgshipping Synergy-min.jpg

Going into the factory was an exciting experience – the floor was full of energy. On average, getting an HPE Synergy through the floor can take six to seven people about five to six days depending on the workload of each station and individual. And once all the work is done and the rack has been shipped, the factory floor is free to go home.

going home-min.jpg

So if you haven’t, make sure to place your HPE Synergy order soon with your local sales rep or channel partner! HPE plans for the factory floor to be extremely busy after January 2017.

Learn more about HPE Synergy at www.hpe.com/info/synergy or check out the HPE Synergy for Dummies e-book.

Diana

Follow HPE Composable Infrastructure

I am an HPE employee.
0 Kudos
About the Author

Diana_Z

Events
See posts for
dates/locations
HPE at 2018 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2018.
Read more
See posts for dates/locations
Reimagine 2018
Join us at one of the Reimagine 2018 stops and see how we Simplify Hybrid IT, innovate at the Intelligent Edge and bring it all together with HPE Poin...
Read more