Shifting to Software-Defined
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How a Unified API brings value to IT

GuestBloggerCDI

James Henry.JPGBy guest blogger James Henry (@jhenry_irl), EMEA Category Manager for Composable Infrastructure Software & Solutions, HPE

If you read my previous articles about the HPE OneView Unified API and a real life implementation of it, you probably already know about the many benefits it brings to IT Operations Management of HPE infrastructure. Since these blogs have been published, many people have asked me to dig a little deeper and take a closer look at different features that illustrate how you can leverage this API. I am often asked what resources are available to help and which out-of-the-box integrations HPE provides to existing customer tool sets. I may not be able to cover everything in one blog, but I will make a start and I will continue to add further posts in the coming weeks to ensure you understand the full power and value of the HPE Unified API.

First off, the Unified API comes standard with HPE OneView and embedded as part of the HPE Synergy Composer in HPE Synergy. The Unified API adds real and measureable value, but it’s not something we charge extra money for. This typically surprises many people, especially since many of the leading cloud providers charge you for each and every API call to the infrastructure you are already paying for. These cloud charges can mount up pretty quickly as you embed more and more automation into your cloud based services. HPE works hard to deliver a cloud-like experience for your private data center. This includes IT Ops teams who manage and maintain on-premises infrastructure, and the developer communities who need fast access to infrastructure and software solution stacks in order to deliver the new apps and services the business needs. The Unified API is the foundation for a software-defined infrastructure that can automate a huge amount of tasks across the entire service lifecycle, including the provisioning and ongoing maintenance of hardware infrastructure and software solution stacks like OS, hypervisor, containers, middleware and applications.

In the past there has been an explosion in the number of IT Operations, Cloud and Developer toolsets. HPE’s strategy is to make your adoption of these toolsets as seamless as possible on HPE infrastructure by providing native out-of-the-box integration with HPE management tools. The Composable Infrastructure Ecosystem is growing rapidly and adds new members on a regular basis.

Ecosystem.png

Let’s look at a couple of recent examples of how the HPE Unified API has been adopted by customers.

IT Operations Use Case #1 – Facilities Management with Eaton Intelligent Power Manager (IPM) and HPE OneView

Systems are increasingly more powerful and as a result place more and more demands on data center power and cooling. Hot spots within the data center are more common now than ever before and if left unchecked they will most likely result in actual outages and downtime. The out-of-the-box integration between Eaton IPM and HPE OneView helps customers reduce downtime while automating the end-to-end management of alerts and remediation actions. Eaton IPM identifies abnormal thermal activity within the data center and can identify a specific system, group of servers or an entire rack. Eaton IPM, via a built in connector to HPE OneView through the HPE Unified API, has an inventory of all HPE systems and can tell HPE OneView which systems need to be power capped. IPM can then leverage HPE OneView’s Single-Sign-On (SSO) to individual server iLO (remote management processor) and power cap each identified server in order to reduce the power draw and subsequent heat output, therefore eliminating the risk of downtime. Okay, this may all sound very complicated, but it’s really not and the whole setup can be completed in 4 simple steps as outlined in this video. For further information you can download this brochure.

IT Operations Use Case #2 – Deploy a complete Mesosphere DC/OS Cluster on bare metal servers with Ansible and HPE OneView

This example really illustrates the power, flexibility and extensibility of the HPE Unified API. The API facilitates rapid provisioning of infrastructure and services, and it also ensures consistency of deployment through automation which ultimately translates to better levels of availability, uptime and faster troubleshooting. In this example, the customer wants to provision the underlying physical infrastructure and then deploy a complete Mesosphere DC/OS cluster on top. The customer is an existing user of Ansible and they learned how this could integrate with their new HPE Synergy Composable Infrastructure environment.

The fully automated deployment is carried out in 2 stages. The first stage involves Ansible describing the desired configuration state (1 bootstrap node, 3 master nodes, 1 public agent node and 2 private agent nodes) and then provisioning the entire set of infrastructure needed for the Mesosphere DC/OS cluster using server profiles. The second stage sees the deployment and configuration of the various DC/OS cluster nodes, installation of any prerequisite software, the collection of all node details and installation of the various DC/OS roles. All of these tasks are carried out on all compute modules in parallel. My colleague, Didier Lalli, put together a very nice video which illustrates this use case in more detail and is available for viewing on YouTube. I highly recommend you check it out.

Hopefully these use case examples give you a better understanding on the automation and integration capabilities of HPE OneView and the HPE Unified API. In my next blog I will take a look at some DevOps use cases and how the HPE Unified API accelerates the application development lifecycle.

If you haven’t yet had the chance to read them, I highly encourage you to read my previous articles: A unified API for infrastructure: Why it matters and Automating infrastructure delivery to accelerate application development where I cover all the basics, as well as look at a real life implementation at Paddy Power Betfair plc.

To learn more about HPE OneView, download the free guide, HPE OneView for Dummies.

James (@jhenry_irl)

James

Follow HPE Composable Infrastructure

0 Kudos
About the Author

GuestBloggerCDI

Events
June 5-6, 2018
Expert Days - 2018
Visit this forum and get the schedules for online HPE Expert Days where you can talk to HPE product experts, R&D and support team members and get answ...
Read more
June 19 - 21
Las Vegas, NV
HPE Discover 2018 Las Vegas
Visit this forum and learn about all things Discover 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada, June 19 - 21, 2018.
Read more