Shifting to Software-Defined
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Composable infrastructure interactive challenge – how do I win?

Chris Purcell

Technology is changing rapidly, and I for one am constantly challenged to understand what’s changing. Once understood, I seek to apply that change or changes into what I do every day. Sound familiar?

I had the opportunity to attend HPE Discover earlier in June, and although I had responsibilities to work at the event, I did get a chance to wander throughout the show floor and look for things that were appealing…of which there were many.

One example of this was the HPE Composable Infrastructure interactive challenge that I found very enlightening.

Guy.jpgAt trade events, you traditionally are faced with many demos and demo staffers; you talk, you listen and in my case, I take notes so I can reference the demos later. But what I liked most about this interactive challenge was that I could get hands-on experience using an intuitive software interface that was both educational and fun.

Here’s how it worked: I was presented with 5 different Composable Infrastructure use cases that the staffers turned into a race for me to complete with others. The first thing that went through my mind was, “Hold on…what do I know about Composable Infrastructure…and how can I complete this task correctly?” And then, to make things worse, I was racing against others at the same time….Hmmm…I think I was being set up to fail.

The available scenarios (or races) centered around HPE OneView 3.0 and Hyper Converged 380  powered by Intel®. Each walked you through how to do different tasks in the user interface e.g., setting up VMs or resolving issues in HPE OneView. What I liked about this challenge was that the scenario was clearly set up and that I had a basic understanding of what I needed to do to solve the problem. The five challenges included:

• Creating a server profile template with HPE OneView
  • Deploying a server using a server profile with HPE OneView
  • Creating and powering on new VMs with HPE Hyper Converged 380
  • Getting VM placement guidance with HPE Cloud Optimizer
  • Deploying VMware hosts from vCenter with HPE OneView

I opted for “Creating and powering on new VMs with HPE Hyper Converged 380”, thinking it would be valuable to understand. I know this process traditionally takes time to complete…but with the Hyper Converged 380, it now can be completed quickly. Well, at least that’s what Subbu Mahadevan (the HPE staffer I spoke with) told me. “Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines,” the Subbu announced. And before I knew it, we were off! I was racing against the clock and against four other contestants who were lined up beside me. As the challenge started, I was presented with different questions that I had to answer, which then opened up another set of options depending on my answers. On questions I didn’t know, I hit the help button, and it prompted me with simpler choices that provided me with the right answer. I could have gone slower, and I think I could have done better with some of the answers I selected, but I was racing against others--so I went as quickly as I could.

What really impressed me about the interface was how intuitive it was, and where I made errors, it helped me correct my answers. And in my case, it helped me complete the task and finish the race.

The results? I came in second place, with my colleague Diana Zavala beating me by 0.5 of a second…not too shabby overall for a beginner. But in all seriousness, it was really a very cool experience and a fun way to learn something new. I did go back and try out some of the other challenges, which I found to be just as intuitive and simple to complete.

So you may be wondering what I won in the Composable interactive challenge? Believe it or not, my 2nd place score was good enough to stay on the leader board throughout the day, and I was awarded with a wireless mouse for my efforts!

After getting back into the office, I went online to see if the challenges had been posted, but could not find the ones used at HPE Discover. But I did find this Hyper Converged 380 demo, which was more or less the same as the first challenge I took for creating and powering on a VM. Check it out and see if you can create and power on a VM in 5 clicks…yes, it really is that simple. Ping me back, and let me know how you got on.

Chris

Follow HPE Converged Systems

Learn more about Intel™
Intel.png

0 Kudos
About the Author

Chris Purcell

Composable Infrastructure, Integrated and Multi-Cloud management, Hyperconverged Infrastructure and Cloud

Events
See posts for
dates/locations
HPE at 2018 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2018.
Read more
See posts for dates/locations
Reimagine 2018
Join us at one of the Reimagine 2018 stops and see how we Simplify Hybrid IT, innovate at the Intelligent Edge and bring it all together with HPE Poin...
Read more