Shifting to Software-Defined
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why stop at DevOps? How about AllOps?

GaryThome

Over the past few years, the DevOps culture has revolutionized the way software is developed and deployed.  More so than a collection of technologies, DevOps is a mindset and an approach that fundamentally treats development and operations teams as deeply collaborative, rather than siloed.

The DevOps mindset assumes a deep integration between Dev and Ops.  This integration is in turn reflected in the tool chain.  Rather than each team using their own tools with a manual process, the Dev and Ops tools are integrated as well.  Developers can use the tools of their choice—namely APIs—to create the operational environment needed to run their applications.  The developer’s tools integrate with the operations tools so that the provisioning of infrastructure is fully automated.  The end result is an increase in velocity and efficiency at the same time!

The DevOps mindset can go further

We fully embrace this mindset but we think it is too limiting.  Why stop at providing seamless integration and automation for just the developers?  After all, there are many other teams that surround and interact with IT operations.  Why not let them do the same thing—use their tools of choice to interact with the operations environment in a fully integrated and automated manner? 

For instance, the virtualization admin may want to provision new infrastructure, update existing infrastructure, or see how virtual resources, such as networks, are mapped to the physical infrastructure.  Rather than requiring two teams, two tools, and manual processes, shouldn’t the virtualization admin expect a VirtOps environment?  Shouldn’t they be able to work in their preferred virtualization tool and still interact with the physical infrastructure in an integrated and automated way?

Or likewise, the facilities admin may want to see how much power and cooling a rack of IT infrastructure is actually consuming, and perhaps even place a power cap on a particular rack  to better manage the data center.  Rather than working in total silos, doesn’t the facilities admin want FacOps—the ability to integrate and automate facilities and IT operations together?  Then the facilities team could do all of these tasks from their preferred Data Center Infrastructure Management tool, and expect things to “just work.”

At HPE Discover, I am presenting a session on how to get extreme operational efficiency out of an HPE Composable Infrastructure.  I will talk about these approaches and more in greater depth.  If you are attending Discover and are interested in gaining dramatically increased velocity and efficiency in your datacenter, come to my session.  And get ready for AllOps!  I hope to see you there.

TW-Gary photo Discover session card.png

Sign up here: Optimizing any application and service level with a single composable infrastructure (TB9591)

Related posts

Just what the heck is composable infrastructure.png  Composable Infrastructure bill of rights.png   How to emulate the cloud giants.png

Follow HPE Composable Infrastructure

0 Kudos
About the Author

GaryThome

Vice President and Chief Technology Officer for the Software-Defined and Cloud Group at Hewlett Packard Enterprise, passionate on all things technology, operating in the data center either physically or virtually.

Comments
lathika

I have read your article it's very informatic and beneficial thanks for posting.

Events
Nov 27 - 29
Madrid, Spain
HPE Discover 2018 Madrid
Learn about all things HPE Discover 2018 in Madrid, Spain, 27 - 29 November, 2018.
Read more
See posts for
dates/locations
HPE at 2018 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2018.
Read more