1753786 Members
7659 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SDN VAN Controller can't create a new meter on HP3800 switch

VictorO
Occasional Visitor

HP SDN VAN Controller can't create a new meter on HP3800 switch

I tried to create a simple meter on HP3800 switch (firmware KA 16.01.004) using HP RSdoc of HP SDN VAN Controller (2.6.11). However, when I used quite a standard JSON for it, like

{
"version":"1.3.0",
"meter":
{
"id":1,
"command":"add",
"flags":
[
"kbps",
"burst",
"stats"
],
"bands":
[
{
"burst_size":10000,
"mtype": "drop",
"rate":10000
}
]
}
}

it produced an error message from thw switch, sayiong BAD FLAGS.

The further investigation using /of/datapaths/{dpid}/features/meter reqquest showed that the switch supports only "kbps", "pktps", and "stats" flags but not "burst" - which apparetly caused the error when the controller passed a request with "burts" flag and "burts_sixe" parameter.

However, when I tried to fix th eproblem and not use "burst" or "burst_size" or both the controller just refused to form a OFPT_METER_MOD message and did nothing returning 404 erorr and saying Resource not found.

At the same time I see posts in this Forum about setting meters on HP3800 switches using RYU controller that means that it is possible in principle and something goes wrong with the HP SDN VAN Controller (or myself).

Has somebody come acrross thos problem?

Thanks,

Victor

4 REPLIES 4
ShaunWackerly
HPE Pro

Hi Victor,

The HP3800 does not support the 'burst' or 'stats' flags in a meter-mod message. If you modify the JSON to be as follows, then the meter-mod should be successfully accepted:

{
   "version":"1.3.0",
   "meter":{
      "id":1,
      "command":"add",
      "flags":[
         "kbps"
         "kbps",
         "burst",

"stats"
      ],
      "bands":[
         {
            "burst_size":10000,
            "mtype":"drop",
            "rate":10000
         }
      ]
   }
}

Shaun

I am an HPE Employee
VictorO
Occasional Visitor

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the advise. The problem is that the HP SDN VAN Controller  (v.2.6) refuses to accept JSON for meter if it doesn't include 'burst' flag  and 'burts_size' band parameter. I know from my colleagues from Lancaster Uni that they managed to set meters on HP3800 switches but using Ryu controller (and without specifying 'burst' flag). So, it looks like a problem is with the 2.6 versiom of thr HP controller. Unfrotunately I don't have Ryu installed and ONOS doesn't support HP3800 pipeline. I'll try the fresher version (2.7) of the HP controller, maybe it will allow to form meter request without burts.

Victor

ShaunWackerly
HPE Pro

Thanks for clarifying, Victor. I wasn't aware that this had changed between 2.6 and 2.7. The test I ran was against 2.7 and it worked with the modification above.

I am an HPE Employee
VictorO
Occasional Visitor

Hi Shaun,

It is a very useful information for me that version 2.7 supports meter config wothout burst parameters.  I saw no reason to myself to upgrade 2.6 to 2.7 but now it is clear that I have to do it and try again.

Thanks,

Victor