108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP switch and Opendaylight

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cesarvasc
Occasional Advisor

HP switch and Opendaylight

I am a student from Brazil. Our research lab has acquired a HP switch (HPE 5130) and Im having problems to integrate this switch with the Opendaylight (ODL) controller. In HP VAN controller, everything is fine: the controller is able to install flow rules automatically and my topology containing two hosts can ping each other. However, I have no sucess using the very same openflow instance configuration when change to ODL.

In particular, I have used the configuration guide which is provided by HP, but although the switch always appears in the topology ODL GUI, the two client hosts: a) are never visible and b) they two cannot ping each other.

In HP VAN controller, I see that it uses table0 (zero) to install the flow rules. I made some research here, here and also here.  It appears to me that the ODL controller is not able to install the proper flow rules in the default flow-table 0(zero) . So, anyone could please tell me what is the correct table to use with ODL so that it can install the flow rules---in particular what are the commands to change the default table-0 to the correct one?

Do I have to perform another kind of previous configuration on the hp switch so that ODL can properly use the correct flow table and install the flow rules in particular or use a specific OpenFlow version?

Anyway, if anybody has successfully created a simple 2hosts topology using ODL and a HP switch can give a SDN-novice any direction about how to create very simple 2hosts and 1 HP switch topology---so that ODL is able to install the proper flow rules that allow the 2hosts ping each other and appear in the topology GUI view---, let me know, please ( please :)). Regards,

5 REPLIES 5
ShaunWackerly
HPE Pro

Hi Caesar,

If this issue wasn't resolved by answers on the other thread (using the extensibility table):

https://community.hpe.com/t5/General/How-to-create-software-flow-table-on-HP-Switch/td-p/6940025

Then you may want to post this question to the ODL community, since that pool of resources would be the authority on how ODL operates and what it expects:

https://www.opendaylight.org/community

Shaun

I am an HPE Employee
Cesarvasc
Occasional Advisor

Hi Shaun,

unfortunately, I still dont know what I have to perform to integrate ODL and my physical HP.

I figured out that our product creates only one table by default (table 0-extensibility). With your and Gerhard help (see https://community.hpe.com/t5/Software-Defined-Networking/How-to-create-software-flow-table-on-HP-Switch/m-p/6940025), now I know how to create two tables (mac-ip and extensibility) or even stay with the default one (table-0).

The integration between ODL and Mininet is ok: ODL is able to install and remove flows into the virtual switch. However, now I see that the integration between the ODL and the physical switch is way more complicated. It appears to me that ODL by itself is now able to install flow rules in the default table-0 (extensibility) of my active OF instance.

Here' s what I've done so far (using ODL Beryllium with only odl-l2switch-switch-ui and its dependencies installed):

a) I tried to integrate ODL and my switch using the default flow table-0 extensibility that is created when the the openflow instance is up. The ODL only installs a LLDP flow rule and a table miss rule (drop). I've have tried to install on the switch other rules--that worked fine on Mininet---but it appears to me that ODL is not able to install any rules from that point. As a result, the controller cannot provide its basic functionality and the two hosts cannot ping each other or even appear in the topology view.

b) Using another approach, I decided to create two tables (mac-ip numbered as "0" and 200 as extensibility). But I am not able to install something like a "goto_table=200" in the table 0 redirecting everything from table 0 to table 200. Again, hosts cannot ping each other.

Although I have no succes, I want to say that I still appreciate all the efforts that you and the HP community have spent trying to help me to integrate ODL with a HP switch (to create a single two hosts topology with this controller).

Many thanks, again, Shaun and Gerhard.

-Cesar 

ShaunWackerly
HPE Pro

Hi Caesar,

Are there any screenshots or log files you could share that may help with debugging the issue? Specifically, anything that would identify the specific failure you're seeing and log entries associated with the failure. I'm not terribly familiar with ODL from a debugging standpoint, otherwise I could request more specific information. :)

Shaun

I am an HPE Employee
Cesarvasc
Occasional Advisor
Solution

I have solved the problem by doing the steps that are shown in the following link:

https://ask.opendaylight.org/question/14312/hp-switch-and-odl-beryllium/

Regards.

Cesarvasc
Occasional Advisor

Many, thanks, Shaun.

I have solved the problem by doing some steps that I described here: https://ask.opendaylight.org/question/14312/hp-switch-and-odl-beryllium/.

Thanks, again.

:)