Software Defined Networking
1752839 Members
3474 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NodeService.getNetworkNode: Virtual Identifier or VLAN ID?

SOLVED
Go to solution
sepbot
Advisor

NodeService.getNetworkNode: Virtual Identifier or VLAN ID?

In the apidocs (hp-sdn-apidoc-2.0.0), com.hp.sdn.nodemgr.getNetworkNode() accepts the parameter of type com.hp.of.lib.dt.VId which as far as I can tell is the Virtual Identifier of the Openflow instance, however the description for this method states that this parameter is the ID of the VLAN that the node is expected to be on.

Through testing, I have concluded that if the VId parameter is populated by instantiating an instance of a VId object using the value of a valid VLAN ID, then I am able to correctly obtain an instance of a NetworkNode object. However if I populate the parameter using the valid virtual identifier value from my dataPathId, then the returned object is null.

Example:

I have a HP 3800 switch with Openflow running in aggregation mode and all my Openflow traffic is on VLAN 10. This switch has a dataPathId which has the virtual identifer 10:00 which is equal to 4069. Trying the getNetworkNode method with the VId of 4096 returns null, however it returns the correct end host using VId of 10.

Please clarify the ambiguity around the issue of VId vs VLAN ID. The only documentation I was able to find around this issue is this pdf file, which states "A VID is a Virtual Identifier. In ProVision this is roughly associated with a VLAN".

2 REPLIES 2
ShaunWackerly
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: NodeService.getNetworkNode: Virtual Identifier or VLAN ID?

Hi sepbot,

The Node Service operates on the basis of VLAN ID, but it is using the VId type to do so. This was the fault of our NodeService API definition that will be corrected in our next release. When you are working with the NodeService interface, please use the VLAN ID as the VId parameter.

Shaun

I am an HPE Employee
sdnindia
Trusted Contributor

Re: NodeService.getNetworkNode: Virtual Identifier or VLAN ID?

Hello sepbot,

We hope the response from ShaunWackerly answers your query.
Please feel free to reply incase you have more questions around the same topic or open a new thread if new topic.

If you feel your query is resolved please let us know my marking the post as an тАЬaccepted solutionтАЭ

Thanks
HP SDN Team