New Discussion

Unable to add confirmed flows reactively using thread pool

SOLVED
Go to solution
checho
Occasional Advisor

Unable to add confirmed flows reactively using thread pool

Hi,

I would like to define a thread pool once my module is activated and any time that I need to send a flowmod
(delete/add/modify) to any dpid I will submit tasks to such pool. The pool will use a thread to send flowmod
to a particular dpid. 

With the code snippet below I am able to add a flow (i.e. rules at different switches along a path) using the REST API
proactively with no hassle. However, when the controller receives a PKT_IN and needs to submit more rules (reactively) it
causes a deadlock (I believe) and all datapaths along the path are revoked and existing rules are wiped out.

Here are the relevant parts of the code handling my workflow:

/**
* Threading variables & constants
*/
private DefaultThreadExecutor flowExecutor;
private static final int MIN_THREAD_POOL_SIZE = 5;
private static final int MAX_THREAD_POOL_SIZE = 50;

/* initialize thread pool upon bundle activation */ @Activate private void activate(){ int totalDpids = cs.getAllDataPathInfo().size(); int n = totalDpids > MIN_THREAD_POOL_SIZE ? totalDpids : MIN_THREAD_POOL_SIZE; this.flowExecutor = new DefaultThreadExecutor("FlowManager", n, MAX_THREAD_POOL_SIZE, n); }

/*Tasks that will be submitted to the thread pool */
private class AddConfirmedRuleTask implements Callable<Boolean>{
DataPathId dp;
long cookie;
int hardtimeout;
TableId table;
int priority;
EnumSet<FlowModFlag> flags;
Match match;
Instruction instr;

public AddConfirmedRuleTask(DataPathId dp, ..., Instruction instr) {
super();
this.dp = dp;
this.cookie = cookie;
/* remaining attributes... */
this.instr = instr;
}

/* Send confirmed flow mod to datapath and return true if it succeeded, false otherwise */
public Boolean call() {
OfmMutableFlowMod flowmod = (OfmMutableFlowMod) MessageFactory.create(PV, MessageType.FLOW_MOD,
FlowModCommand.ADD);
flowmod.bufferId(BufferId.NO_BUFFER)
.hardTimeout(this.hardtimeout)
.cookie(this.cookie)
.addInstruction(this.instr);
try {
MessageFuture mf = cs.sendConfirmedFlowMod((OfmFlowMod) flowmod.toImmutable(), this.dp.dpid(),
FlowClass.UNSPECIFIED);
mf.await();
return mf.result().isSuccess();
} catch (OpenflowException | InterruptedException e) {
log.info("There was an internal error with flow mod -> {}", this.dp.dpid());
return false;
}
}
}

/*Given a flow path build the rules and submit each task to the thread pool*/
private void pushFlow(FlowPath p) throws OpenflowException{

Collection<AddConfirmedRuleTask> rules = new ArrayList<AddConfirmedRuleTask>();
for (DataPathId dp : p.dpids()){
/* code defining table, match, instructions, etc */
rules.add(new AddConfirmedRuleTask(dp, p.id(), ..., (Instruction) actions.toImmutable()));
}

try {
for (AddConfirmedRuleTask rule: rules){
Future<Boolean> reply = this.flowExecutor.submit(rule);
if (!reply.get()) throw new CreateException("At least one rule along the path couldn't be added");
}
} catch (InterruptedException | ExecutionException e) {
log.info("Thread error while adding flow: {}: {}", e.getClass().getName(), e.getMessage());
}
}

/**
* Packet listener used to refine flows. (i.e. add tcp_src field)
*/
private class PacketListener implements SequencedPacketListener {

@Override
public void event(MessageContext ctx) {
long cookie = ctx.getPacketIn().getCookie();
FlowPath p;
synchronized (cache) {
p = cache.get(cookie);
}
// Do not process subsequent packets of refinable flows sent to controller
if (p.isRefined()) return;

log.info("Flow found! Refining started...");
Ip ip = ctx.decodedPacket().get(ProtocolId.IP);

if (ip.type().equals(IpType.TCP)){
Tcp tcp = ctx.decodedPacket().get(ProtocolId.TCP);
p.setSrcport(PortNumber.valueOf(tcp.srcPort().getNumber()));

try {
pushFlow(f);
} catch (OpenflowException | RuntimeException e) {
throw new CreateException(e.getMessage());
}
ctx.packetOut().block();
}
}

The ultimate purpose with the PKT_IN is to get the TCP_SRC field of a flow such that I can install a rule with higher priority
that will match the complete 5-tuple (srcip, dstip, srcport, dstport, protocol).

Here's the log output. As you can tell, when adding a flow through rest api (Generic flow) everything works smoothly. But
when trying to do the same operation in a reactive way (refining a flow), it hangs while trying to add the rule at the first hop of
the path.

INFO  http-bio-8443-exec-46        com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathsManager              Adding GENERIC flow with cookie: ab01400000000085
 INFO  FlowManager-0                com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathManager              Mark 2: Result: SUCCESS at 00:15:10:60:4b:b6:46:80 problem (none)
 INFO  FlowManager-1                com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathManager              Mark 2: Result: SUCCESS at 00:15:10:60:4b:b6:46:80 problem (none)
 INFO  FlowManager-2                com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathManager              Mark 2: Result: SUCCESS at 00:15:40:a8:f0:9b:13:00 problem (none)
 INFO  FlowManager-0                com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathManager              Mark 2: Result: SUCCESS at 00:16:10:60:4b:b6:46:80 problem (none)
 INFO  http-bio-8443-exec-50        com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathManager              Adding GENERIC flow with cookie: ab01c00000000085
 INFO  FlowManager-1                com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathManager              Mark 2: Result: SUCCESS at 00:16:10:60:4b:b6:46:80 problem (none)
 INFO  FlowManager-2                com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathManager              Mark 2: Result: SUCCESS at 00:16:10:60:4b:b6:46:80 problem (none)
 INFO  FlowManager-0                com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathManager              Mark 2: Result: SUCCESS at 00:15:40:a8:f0:9b:13:00 problem (none)
 INFO  FlowManager-1                com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathManager              Mark 2: Result: SUCCESS at 00:15:10:60:4b:b6:46:80 problem (none)
 WARN  of-pend-future-timer         hp.of.ctl                                             Aged-out futures:  8 (sweep run every 120000ms)
 INFO  of-io-27-thread-16           com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathManager              Flow found! Refining started...
 INFO  of-io-27-thread-16           com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathManager              Adding REFINED flow with cookie: ab01c00000000085
 INFO  of-io-27-thread-5            com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathManager              Flow found! Refining started...
 INFO  of-io-27-thread-5            com.netlab.viplanes.impl.FlowPathManager              Adding REFINED flow with cookie: ab01400000000085

(after 10 secs approx...)

DEBUG of-io-27-thread-6            hp.of.ctl                                             Received connection from {OfConn:172.24.240.37}
 DEBUG of-io-27-thread-6            hp.of.ctl                                             Disconnected {OfConn:172.24.240.37}
 WARN  of-io-27-thread-6            hp.of.ctl                                             Datapath REVOKED: 00:15:10:60:4b:b6:46:80, neg=V_1_3, ip=172.24.240.37
 ERROR of-io-27-thread-6            hp.of.ctl                                             Intercepted unexpected exception: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Main connection already established for dpid 00:15:10:60:4b:b6:46:80 
DEBUG of-io-27-thread-8 hp.of.ctl Received connection from {OfConn:172.24.240.37} DEBUG of-io-27-thread-8 hp.of.ctl Disconnected {OfConn:172.24.240.37} WARN of-io-27-thread-8 hp.of.ctl Datapath REVOKED: 00:15:10:60:4b:b6:46:80, neg=V_1_3, ip=172.24.240.37 ERROR of-io-27-thread-8 hp.of.ctl Intercepted unexpected exception: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Main connection already established for dpid 00:15:10:60:4b:b6:46:80 DEBUG of-io-27-thread-9 hp.of.ctl Received connection from {OfConn:172.24.240.37} DEBUG of-io-27-thread-9 hp.of.ctl Disconnected {OfConn:172.24.240.37} WARN of-io-27-thread-9 hp.of.ctl Datapath REVOKED: 00:16:10:60:4b:b6:46:80, neg=V_1_3, ip=172.24.240.37 ERROR of-io-27-thread-9 hp.of.ctl Intercepted unexpected exception: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Main connection already established for dpid 00:16:10:60:4b:b6:46:80 DEBUG of-io-27-thread-10 hp.of.ctl Received connection from {OfConn:172.24.240.37} DEBUG of-io-27-thread-10 hp.of.ctl Disconnected {OfConn:172.24.240.37} WARN of-io-27-thread-10 hp.of.ctl Datapath REVOKED: 00:15:10:60:4b:b6:46:80, neg=V_1_3, ip=172.24.240.37 ERROR of-io-27-thread-10 hp.of.ctl Intercepted unexpected exception: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Main connection already established for dpid 00:15:10:60:4b:b6:46:80 WARN of-idle-timer hp.of.ctl Closing unresponsive connection from 172.24.240.37 DEBUG of-idle-timer hp.of.ctl Disconnected {OfConn:172.24.240.37} DEBUG of-idle-timer hp.of.ctl Datapath connection closed: 00:16:10:60:4b:b6:46:80 aux:0 INFO of-idle-timer hp.of.ctl Datapath removed: 00:16:10:60:4b:b6:46:80, neg=V_1_3, ip=172.24.240.37 DEBUG DpQPool-8-thread-3 hp.sdn.dd DE0005I Disconnected event for dpid 00:16:10:60:4b:b6:46:80

Any advice on how to use confirmedflowmods in a reactive manner using thread pool? 

PS. This approach "works" when I use sendFlowMod instead of sendConfirmedFlowMod but I do need to check if a rule was
successfully installed or not. 

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
ShaunWackerly
HPE Pro

Re: Unable to add confirmed flows reactively using thread pool

Hi checho,

Based on my first impression, you may be encountering an issue with either the SDN controller or switch. I don't think this is a deadlock in the sense of multiple threads within the controller waiting on eachother indefinitely. There should be no issue sending flowmods from a separate thread, since we handle simultaneous calls to the REST API on separate threads. I'm assuming here that the issue happens with threading at minimal scale (one flowmod) and doesn't just occur when scaling to 100's of simultaneous threads.

What makes me think that you may be hitting a VAN or switch issue is that pushing a flowmod (sendConfirmedFlowMod) should never cause a switch disconnect like is shown in your logs. As you may know, when using ControllerService.sendConfirmedFlowMod(), it will send a barrier request after sending the flowmod to the switch. The SDN controller then waits on the barrier reply. Based on the messages indicating a switch reconnect, it looks like the switch thinks the SDN controller has disconnected, but the SDN controller is still waiting for the switch to respond with a barrier reply.

Could you please post the firmware version you're using, the switch model, and the switch configuration (at least the OpenFlow portion)? It would also be helpful to have output from the switch using "debug openflow" and "debug destination session" while this issue occurs.

Shaun

PS: I'm not sure it matters for this case, but remember that switches can connect to the controller after your application/module is activated, therefore calling cs.getAllDataPathInfo().size() may not still be the same number after the module is activated. For instance, your app could boot with a single switch connected, then 100 other switches could connect afterwards.

I am an HPE Employee
checho
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Re: Unable to add confirmed flows reactively using thread pool

I am leaving this solution for posterity. 

After exchanging logs, configurations and messages with the HPE developer team, they concluded that this behavior is caused by an architectural limitation in the VAN controller (specifically the classes OpenflowMessageBuffer, MessageBuffer and OpenflowIOLoop). You cannot wait on responses (ie calling the await() method of a MessageFuture) in a SequencedPacketListener.

Two workarounds:

1. Not to wait on responses to flowmods in a SequencedPacketListener. (not acceptable since we need to confirm a flow was added/reject)

2. Call ControllerService.sendConfirmedFlowMod() from the SequencedPacketListener.  The call to sendConfirmedFlowMod will return a MessageFuture.  Put the MessageFuture into a (BlockingQueue) queue that’s processed by another task (thread), rather than calling MessageFuture.await() in the SequencedPacketListener itself. In that way, the reply will be handled in another thread. 

Both workarounds work well in the sense that do not cause interruption. We sticked to the second one since we must confirm failure/success of every flow mod the controller sends out. 

I would to thank the HP team for looking into our issue.