4805 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Uploading Applications on HP SDN Controller

utkarsh_bhatia
Visitor

Uploading Applications on HP SDN Controller

Hello,

I have been trying to upload the sample application on the HP SDN controller. But after Browsing and selecting the hm-*.zip file the dialog box states "uploading", but it isn't moving past that. 

What is the process of uploading/installing an external application on the HP SDN Controller?

12 REPLIES 12
sdnindia
Trusted Contributor

As per the SDN Controller Programming Guide [page 5 & 6] –

Internal applications (authored in Java or a byte-code compatible language, e.g. Scala, or Scala DSL) are deployed on the HP VAN SDN Controller and they interact with it by consuming business services (Java APIs) published by the controller.

External applications (authored in any language capable of establishing a secure HTTP connection. e.g. Java, C, C++, Python,etc.) are deployed outside the HP VAN SDN Controller and they interact with it by consuming the RESTful Web Services published by the controller.

For external applications consult the RESTful API documentation (orRsdoc) as described at Rsdoc Live Reference on page 16 of the SDN Controller Programming Guide.

vandewilly
Advisor

Hello,

I have a shell script to make the deploy of my application. If you used the gen-app (provided with VAN SDK) script to create your bundles, just put this shell in the root folder and run ./deploy.sh.

Don't forget to change the initial parameters.

utkarsh_bhatia
Visitor

The external applications outside the controllers interact with it by RESTful web services, that is understood. But how do we upload an external application on the HP VAN SDN Controller?

Shaila
Advisor

External applications are not deployed (uploaded) as an OSGI bundle on HP VAN SDN controller. They are applications authored in any language running on a platform of choice interacting with HP VAN SDN controller via REST API.

-- HP SDN Team
raghuram369
Occasional Contributor

Can the external applications have their own UI elements (javascript,jquery etc) or should the UI be in accordance with the HP SKI framework.   How do we deploy the external applications using REST API to the APP STORE

utkarsh_bhatia
Visitor

According to HP SDN Controller Programming Guide page 39-41, these following steps are mentioned : 

1.Login to the SDN controller as sdn user using the following URL “https://[SDN_CONTROLLER_ADDRESS]:8443/sdn/ui/” as shown in . See “Authentication Configuration) to determine the right credentials.  

2.Click the New tool bar action as illustrated.

3.Upload and install the application as illustrated in .

4.Click Browse button to select the application zip file (hm-*.zip in our example) and selectUpload;when the upload operation is completed the dialog should load the application’s META-data defined in the application descriptor file created in “Application Descriptor).

5.Click Deploy to install the application.

I have been trying to upload the sample health monitor application provided with the hp controller guide programming docs using the steps described above and following the programming guide. And while uploading the sample application, I am facing issues, that when i browse and select the sample appliation's zip file and select it, the controller states that it is uploading but however it doesn't moves past the "Uploading" status and hangs there. I also tried uploading the sample application with the curl commands the error which i got was "Error 500". Please provide steps  by which I can successfully upload/install the sample health monitor application on the HP SDN Controller.

AndyBryant
HPE Blogger

@raghuram369 wrote:

How do we deploy the external applications using REST API to the APP STORE

We'll announce the availability of the App Store later this year.  Watch this space (and follow us on twitter at  @HP_Networking) to hear the news first.

Are you a HP Networking AllianceOne partner?

Andy.

HPE WW Telco Marketing / @AndyTelco
raghuram369
Occasional Contributor

Hi Andy,

Iam a developer at ECODE networks. Ecode networks is not only HP Networking AllianceOne partner but also the SDN eco system partner.  We are working on the Apps to be hosted on the SDN App store and there has been "NO" encouraging support in that direction. Our developers have been trying to get the questions and doubts clarified through mail, forum since 3 weeks. It is very surprising that no one has answered our questions to the point, with so much expertise and sophisticated system from HP around.  

Im resposting our queries

• We have external applications that make use of REST API from HP controller. Should the applications be developed making use of SKI framework as mentioned in the programming guide or can they be made stand alone with own UI elements(javascript,Jquery...etc).  
  • We are unable to upload the healthmonitor sample application itself into the controller. The details of which are posted in the above post by Utkarsh Bhatia.

AndyBryant
HPE Blogger

Hi Raghu,

OK - thanks for identifying yourself.  As I explained in the email this morning, we're still ramping up our support teams, so it has taken us longer that we would like to get this information across.

To help us better to help you - it is preferable to post your queries in this forum individually - one at a time; and then to Mark as accepted when you get a satisfactory answer.  If you post multiple different questions to the same thread; or change subject within a thread, it is hard for us to make sure we catch them all.

To answer these specific questions

• We have external applications that make use of REST API from HP controller. Should the applications be developed making use of SKI framework as mentioned in the programming guide or can they be made stand alone with own UI elements(javascript,Jquery...etc).  

External applications that make use of the REST API do NOT run on the HP controller; and have no way to integrate into the controller UI.  These will need their own independent UI, and will need to run on a seperate server somewhere in the network.  This is the definition of an 'external application'.

• We are unable to upload the healthmonitor sample application itself into the controller. The details of which are posted in the above post by Utkarsh Bhatia.

For this one - you started by asking how to upload an external app to the controller.  We answered that one - by saying you can't upload an external app to the controller.  Only internal apps (authored in Java or a byte-code compatible language, e.g. Scala, or Scala DSL) may be uploaded to the controller.  

We only realized you were trying to upload an 'internal app' (healthmonitor) today - so someone from our support team will respond to this question later today.  The only suggestion I could make would be to try a different browser, or to disable any browser plugins that might be affecting the upload.

Thanks for bearing with us as we ramp up.

Andy.

HPE WW Telco Marketing / @AndyTelco