Software Solutions
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Use Oracle’s UPL, Abandon Your Intellectual Property

Miguel Murillo

I feel that Oracle acquires open source solution to destroy them. MySQL and Java are maximum exponents of this idea. For many years HP has worked thinking that Oracle is our friend and it was past, right now is our stronger competitor in many areas. Our advantage is that we have our HP delivery team experience using our solutions (and reusing), and Oracle advantage is that they will use "any" delivery system integrator but rarely Oracle team do the integration on real world and take advantage in other customers.

0 Kudos
About the Author

Miguel Murillo

Comments
Ronald Monthero

When I try to understand the whole of it, it is clear that UPL  license is tailored to the interests of only one member -- the one who submitted the new Universal Permissive License (UPL) for approval to the Open Source Initiative (OSI).

M Keith Moore

Even with the current and future battles over the JCP being set aside, I agree that this Oracle proposal is far too broad and potentially damaging to the fundamental value of the open source development community. The impact would be a slow and insidious withdrawal from the open source development community as they collectively found out that they passively, accidentally lost all future IP to a separate party. 

UPL would make open software maintenance too risky, legally, for any of the submitters. Initially, there would be ignorance, litigation, then eventually, suspension of open engagement. This is counter to the whole premise of open source -- especially when compared to most of the existing open license agreements. 

For others who are interested, the interesting discussion on this is at: 

http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/0V4uyR5M4DSA6wgeQGmL

..where the defenses made to the value/usefulness of this proposal appear to be weak and self-fulfilling. 

I agree with Mr. Fink regarding this point. This is a bad idea and, frankly, appears to be a semi-transparent grab for free "magnetic IP" (especially when considering the possible future likelihood that it will be the mechanism for even more extreme JCP control).  Support of open source software should not induce passive theft of IP. The alternative MIT license clearly and openly exposes a reliquishment of some of these future rights, whereas this UPL license proposal seems to do this passively/implicitly. Even using the "LARGER WORKS" mechanism does not address this issue adequately, in my opinion. 

Miguel Murillo

I feel that Oracle acquires open source solution to destroy them. MySQL and Java are maximum exponents of this idea. For many years HP has worked thinking that Oracle is our friend and it was past, right now is our stronger competitor in many areas. Our advantage is that we have our HP delivery team experience using our solutions (and reusing), and Oracle advantage is that they will use "any" delivery system integrator but rarely Oracle team do the integration on real world and take advantage in other customers.

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more