MSA Storage
1748226 Members
4501 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA 2040 MPIO (along with recent change from linear to virtual disk groups)

StephenWagner7
Frequent Advisor

MSA 2040 MPIO (along with recent change from linear to virtual disk groups)

So previously, running vSphere 6, configured with MPIO (each host has 2 controllers to SAN, 1 to controller a, and 1 to controller b), using round robin (of course both links are active, but only 1 serves I/O because of disk group ownership).

Upgraded to vSphere 6.5, and more recently, I migrated from linear to virtual disk groups (deleted linear, created virtual, migrated data back).

Anyways, all is good. However I'm noticing one thing while doing failover tests, not sure if it's the vSphere upgrade, or the change from linar to virtual. I'm thinking it's the switch to virtual, but would like confirmation.

Previously with MPIO, disk group ownership, there is a prefered path, however if the iSCSI network connection went down, the other controller would service I/O, and the datastore would remain functioning (it would fall over to the non-owned controller).

However now, ESXi still reports both paths as active and valid, however if I pull the network cable (or disable a path), the I/O doesn't switch to the other controller.

I'm wondering if by switching to virtual, the entire controller needs to go offline for the other controller to service I/O to the disk group?

Cheers

1 REPLY 1
StephenWagner7
Frequent Advisor

Re: MSA 2040 MPIO (along with recent change from linear to virtual disk groups)

Just an update:

Re-installed ESXi on hosts (fresh install instead of upgrade), also deleted and recreated disk groups and volumes on the SAN. Appears to be working now.

Wondering if this has something to do with the original volumes being created before changing SAN LUN option "Not Ready" to "Illegal Request" inside of the SMU.

Either way, working now.