New Discussion

Re: MSA2042 connect a P2000 to it

SOLVED
Go to solution
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Chris,

RAID 10 is mirroring and striping. With thin provisioning, and pools, on the MSA mutiple RAID1 vdisks are striped (or wide striped) via the array controller virtually chunking up the volume instead of it being done purely at the RAID level. So, performance should be similar regardless of whether you have a RAID10 VDISK or multiple RAID1 VDISKS backing the same pool. I supposed you'd really have to run an exact test to tell but I don't think it's worth the effort. 

Regarding your other question, you should be able to remove a vdisk so long as the pool as enough space to survive the removal of the vdisk. This will kick off a VDRAIN process and will take time.

See https://community.hpe.com/t5/Storage-Area-Networks-SAN-Small/MSA-2040-remove-disk-group-from-pool/td-p/6946493 

and page 148 of 

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04957376

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

BlueChris
Advisor

Oh this is new to me... 

At 1st then i did mistake to format my 8x6oo all together as one raid 10... now to add a new set of disks there i need to add 8 more. Oh well . in some weeks i will redo everything i suppose at least for test purposes... and as for the removal of a disk group this is great knews really.

Thank you

BlueChris
Advisor

Hi im here again.

I have a question because i plan to buy 1 more server to connect to my MSA 2040.

Atm i have 4 servers connected with single conections to the MSA using 8GB Tranceivers in the MSA but i wonder if i can buy now 4 x 10GB (iscsi) tranceivers for the MSA and connect the new server with a dual port 10GB card to the MSA. I know i can do that but my question is if i will be able to access the volumes that are shared to the 8GB hosts.

The reason i ask is because when i had tried to do the same in old days in my P2000 G3 FC/iscsi a volume that was shared to the FC ports wasnt able to be shared simultaneously to the iscsi ports.

In the msa 2040 can i do that?

Kind Regards
Chris.

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Hi Chris,

You cannot present the same volume to both iSCSI and FC ports; it's one or the other. 

Also, be careful on your iSCSI (Ethernet) hookups. Directly connecting a VMWare host to the MSA is not supported like it is with FC. You'd need an Ethernet switch. 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

BlueChris
Advisor

Thank you .. i thought the same, even though i dont really get the reason for this.

I am aware of the ethernet switch prequisitie but i read in the internet many people succsesfully connected the msa direct.
Either way i proceeded to buy the same 4 pack 8gb tranceivers as the ones i have now and HP 82Q card for the new server.

Thx for your help.