MSA Storage
1748254 Members
4161 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

P2000 G3 - Can you rearrange the physical drives

erikcarlseen

P2000 G3 - Can you rearrange the physical drives

We have a P2000 G3 FC / iSCSI system with several vdisks, volumes, etc. We'd like to rearrange the physical drives so that drives in the same vdisks are located contiguously to each other (ease of mainteance / documentation / OCD / etc). Will the P2000 allow this, or will we have to either recreate the vdisks or just live with the current mess?

3 REPLIES 3
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: P2000 G3 - Can you rearrange the physical drives

Hello, I am afraid it requires lot of manual time and rebuilding. It would by much better to delete everything and recreate arrays as you wish..

But - is seems it is only cosmetic issue, it doesn't really matter where are disks located from functional point of view...

Jan

ProliantWatch
Advisor

It dosnet really matter in an Vdisk if the hard disks are connected in a sequential manner. You can always do so, however if you want to move the hard disk from slot 8 to slot 2 it may corrupt the vdisk. 

If you want to do so, the best option is to back up everything and recreate the vdisks

Regards

Proliant Watch

http://hpproliant.blogspot.com/
jonsantos

I also want to rearrange the disks.  The way HP pre-installed the disks was enclosure 1 disk 1, enclosure 2 disk 1, so they basically populated top to down and started again going towards to right, then top to down, etc.  Am I protected if I have a enclosure failure?  If not, can I turn off the MSA and rearrage the disks and turn back on and will it discover the new drives location?  (like in the old MSA1500cs days?)