MSA Storage
1753774 Members
6987 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Some sort of EtherChannel while connecting a p2000 G3 SAN storage to a SAN switch or host...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Reza Alikhani
Occasional Contributor

Some sort of EtherChannel while connecting a p2000 G3 SAN storage to a SAN switch or host...

Hi all;

If I have a P2000 G3 Fiber Channel SAN storage with one controller, can I attach a dual port HBA in a server to the two ports of the controller to configure something like EtherChannel (for doubling the bandwidth and fault tolerance)?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Some sort of EtherChannel while connecting a p2000 G3 SAN storage to a SAN switch or host...

Hi, 

you could configure multipath to use all available paths. Check out 'multibus' in linux and multipath. You could connect both and just use it normally with one at a time. I'd do some performance testing and failure scenarios before deciding on a configuration.

Reza Alikhani
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply;

I know that I can use multipath feature of the OS but I want to know that connecting the two port of the p2000 controller to a two-port HBA of a server is supported?

Thanks again!

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

If it's supported or not you might want to ask HP support/sales about..

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02010751/c02010751.pdf

The User Guide does not have a dual-port HBA to a single-controller, neither did any of the other manuals I looked in. So based on that I would say it's not "supported". But I suspect it will work anyway. The SMU reference guide says that a host in SMU is referenced by it's WWpN and each port in the FC card has its own WWpN. 

If you're going to set up a system like this, why not just use a direct attached storage instead as you're dedicating this storage controller to only one server..

Like a D2600 with a SAS-card (you can do dual-port here as well)?