MSA Storage
1752788 Members
6045 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: This is an entry level question regarding a SAN device

Riley Petty

This is an entry level question regarding a SAN device

Does a SAN device attach to a server by way of a SCSI adapter and cable?
Or with a fiber connection?
If the SAN device attaches directly to a server, can another or more than one server also attach to the same SAN device?
If two or more servers can attach to a SAN device how close do they have to be to each other? Can a second server be in another room or on another floor?
I know these are simple questions but I'm having trouble getting past the easy part.
Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.
Riley
2 REPLIES 2
Pau Garcia i Quiles
Frequent Advisor

You can attch a SAN to a server using SCSI or fiber, it's up to you. Of course, a fiber-attached SAN will perform better.

If you attach only a server to a SAN you only need the SAN, a fiber patch and one HBA (think of it as the "network card" that connects to the SAN). If you are attaching more than one server, you will also need a fiber switch.

Yes, other servers can be in another room or floor. The limitation in distance is conditioned by optical fiber, so servers can be very far (even miles) one from each other. Just make sure the fiber is properly installed.

If you do not have previous experience with SANs, my advice is you hire someone who is experienced to do the installation and setup. It's not as easy as it may seem.

If you want to do it yourself, I'd buy the MSA1500 Starter Kit (it includes the MSA1000 controller, a MSA20 SATA case, two HBAs, three LC-LC fiber patches, software, etc). It's very important to setup SSP in the Array Configuration Utility if you have more than one sever. Zoning is important, too.
Riley Petty

Thanks for the response. The information has been very helpful.
Riley