MSA Storage
1748104 Members
4601 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Updating Disk Firmware - is it recommended and how long does it take?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ralf Seefeldt
Valued Contributor

Updating Disk Firmware - is it recommended and how long does it take?

Hi everybody,

I have to patch a system environment including two MSA2312fs with 4 enclosures and 40 Disks each.

The MSAs has to receive a new firmware to stay compatible with the blade enclosure.

The disks of the same type have nearly all the same firmware. So, I only must update one disks firmware.

At this point of planing, I have two questions:

- Is it recommended to update the firmware of the disks to the latest version? There are no problems with the storage so far.

- How much time have I to calculate for updating one disks firmware? As all disks are part of a vdisk, I would have to  update the firmware one disk at a time.

Any hints, that help me with planning are greatly welcome.

Bye

Ralf

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Small and Medium Business). - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Rajiv
HPE Pro

Hello Ralf,

"The disks of the same type have nearly all the same firmware. So, I only must update one disks firmware."

Does this mean only one disk needs updating ?

if all disks needs an update then a downtime needs to be planned depending on the number of disks to be upgraded.

NOTE: Disk drive upgrades on the HP StorageWorks MSA2000 is an offline process. All host and array I/O must be stopped prior to the upgrade. For more information, see the HP StorageWorks 2000 Family Modular Storage Array reference guide 

Please see the following customer advisory:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01671837&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3687156&prodTypeId=329290

Reference guide is available below:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01565941/c01565941.pdf

Page 138 provides details on "Viewing and Updating Disk Drive Firmware Versions".

Thanks & Regards,

Rajiv

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Ralf Seefeldt
Valued Contributor

Hi Rajiv,

thank you for your reply.

Yes, only one disk has a older FW than the other disks of the same type. This FW-update is a must.
Another 34 Disks hav a FW, where a newer FW is available. I'm not sure whether or not to uptadt those disks.
i currently are planing a Downtime for Patching two blade enclosures and two MSAs. Thus I have downtime - and I have read all the best practice that corellate to my environment.

What I don't have is a rough estimate, how much more downtime I have to ask for, if I want to update the firmware or 35 disks.

Bye
Ralf
Rajiv
HPE Pro
Solution

Ideally I'd estimate about 5 mins per disk though it may take 5 mins or lesser. To be on a safer side I'd say 35 X 5 = 175mins i.e approximately 180 mins (3 hours).

Since you have downtime available better to update all the disks in one go.

Thanks & Regards,

Rajiv

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Ralf Seefeldt
Valued Contributor

Hi Rajiv,
That answers my question.
Thanks