1751687 Members
5719 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: manage a d2700 storage enclosure

cnorton39
Advisor

manage a d2700 storage enclosure

other than the MFG port on the back, is there is any other way, to flash the I/O module and update the firmware of this enclosure.  I can't get the JBOD to connect via a PCI card installed in myDL580 server.

I have no LED on the SAS port.  The enclosure has power and the I/O port has power, but nothing else, the card is good, verified in another server.

Please help.

6 REPLIES 6
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I've only managed D2600 via a P411 card. And I needed to create the arrays and the usual with hpssacli/hpacucli. It wasn't a JBOD for me, but maybe it is with a JBOD SAS card. Supported adapters are at the top of https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04111697.pdf

cnorton39
Advisor

thanks for answering.  I plan on using it as a JBOD.  I just need to get it connected.  I am using a P411 card as well. How did you update it?  Does it have a default IP or port?  I updated the drivers for the card, but the windows doesn't pick up the enclosure via the P411 card's SAS connection.

I have no idea what I'm missing...I'm sure its something simple..

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

So I just ran the firmware update. But tbh I never saw any really important issues fixed with the IO module in the D2600 themselves. More often there were good issues fixed in the firmware to the P411 controller. My server was running linux.

No it does not have an IP. The MFG is only serial. YOu manage the server with HP ACU or HP SSA. Do you find it in there? You gotta create the arrays and logical drives before the OS can see the disks.

cnorton39
Advisor

I'm not following...I already have some arrays configured.  Windows just doesn't see the enclosure (another disk). It sees the controller in Device manager, but not the disk the card is attached to. In Disk Manager, its just not there, also I have no port light. I know the card is good, tested it in another server.

I read somewhere, that you can't share storage of a DAS with a Server, as apart of an array..?  Is this not the case?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I'm not following you. You say you have some arrays configured on the enclosure and you can't see them? So when you launch ACU you can see the arrays you have created of the disks in the enclosure?

You say you tested the card - do you have the card and the enclosure working together to show your arrays in another server?

"I read somewhere, that you can't share storage of a DAS with a Server, as apart of an array..?  Is this not the case?" - What this means, is that if you have an array on the internal disks in the server, you can't put those disks and the disks in the enclosure in the same array.

cnorton39
Advisor

When I launch the ACU, it sees the controller, but complains that there are "no Physical disks." and this is the external controller via SAS connected to the the enclosure. 

I only tested the card in another server, but not with this enclosure.  

Also, now that the server sees the additional array controller, it runs the ORCA everytime I boot, and since it can't detect any "phsycal disks" it complains, and just reboots again. 

I'm sure I need to check the controller boot order.. but I still dont understand, why I get no LED light at all, on the I/O SAS port.  I have good SAS cables...