3682 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Best practice MSA2324i SAN backup

Dennes Meeusen
Advisor

Best practice MSA2324i SAN backup

Hi,
I want to consolidate our server's storage to a SAN (MSA2324i) and am looking for the best way to backup this system, without having to install backupsoftware etc. on every separate server.
Is there a central way to backup the SAN directly, as an addition to the built in snapshot capabilities?
For example, is it possible to have the SAN push backups to a NAS (SMB)?
What are my options? Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Best practice MSA2324i SAN backup

What backup Software are you using?

There are many different ways to go about this, but different backup applications implement it in various ways.

Typically, a Storage Array will not initiate a "push", but a client can initiate similar actions.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Dennes Meeusen
Advisor

Well, currently there is no SAN and the separate servers are backupped with Backup Exec 12d (Ultrium tapedrive in one server) and agents on the other servers.

I want to get rid of having to purchase agents for every single server and just want to backup from the SAN directly, if possible, to eg. a NAS with SATA disks.
Dennes Meeusen
Advisor

OK, so i understand that i can mount snapshots on a Windows host. Does that also apply to this SAS SAN? Mounting the snapshots would give me the ability to backup them tape or NAS, right?
And how do i mount a snapshot to be able to backup the data? And if this works, how can i script this?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"I want to get rid of having to purchase agents for every single server "

My answer: HP StorageWorks Data Protector Software. All the clients you want to add, no extra cost. You're clients can have media agents as well if they have access to a tape storage system, or some other storage used for backup.

I am not totally familiar how the snapshot features work on the MSA2k, I do not have one in the lab to play around with. (We decided to go with 2 EVA4400's ;o) )

Snap shots work a little differently than in the EVA world (I think). I'll have to try to play around with one the next chance I get.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)