New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA Mirrorport Maximum Troughput

SOLVED
Go to solution
PB75
Advisor

EVA Mirrorport Maximum Troughput

Hi,

I have a question about the mirrorport maximum bandwith between the two EVA Controller:

- On a EVA8100: at which troughput do we have a bottleneck caused by the mirrorport? HP did once a performance analysis on our EVA5000. They said: The critical Value on a EVA5000 Mirrorport is 80MB/s (The EVAPerf Counter "MirrorMB" should not be higher than 80MB/s to often). How about the EVA8100?

- The EVAPerf Counter "MirrorMB" is always per Disk Group. Do I nid to add up the MirrorMB Values from all Diskgroups to get a "Total MirrorMB" Value?

thanks in advance for your help!
Patrick
3 REPLIES 3
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
it differs with the transfer size kB in all EVAs:
for EVA 4k/6k/8k it is the following MB/s:
4kB is 80 MB/s
8kB is 195 MB/s
64kB is 330 MB/s

Some usefull info on the multipathing which is very important for the loadbalancing in active/active EVA controller firmware is here:
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/5983-1673EN.pdf
the pain is one part of the reality
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

If you are refering to the cache mirroring between the controllers there are two 2Gb/s FC connections, so the maximum bandwidth is roughly 2x200MB/s in each direction in theory. I doubt that it is full duplex, so in that case it is roughly 400MB/s total.
Mom 6
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Keep in mind that the mirroports are "only" used for writes (to mirror the write cache) and for proxy reads (when a read IO comes in the "wrong" controller.
In an environment with correct multipathing drivers that support ALB or ALUA the mirrorport will only have to handle the write mirroring!!
This means your throughput very much depends on your read/write ratio!!

Cheers
Pete
I love storage