HPE EVA Storage
1753329 Members
4999 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA Storages and Hardware Acceleration with vStorage APIs for Array Integration (VAAI)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Arman Obosyan
Frequent Advisor

EVA Storages and Hardware Acceleration with vStorage APIs for Array Integration (VAAI)

In VMware vSphere 4.1 was introduced new feature

Hardware Acceleration with vStorage APIs for Array Integration (VAAI).

ESX can offload specific storage operations to compliant storage hardware. With storage hardware assistance, ESX performs these operations faster and consumes less CPU, memory, and storage fabric bandwidth. See the ESX Configuration Guide and the ESXi Configuration Guide.

EMC, NetAPP already have some support Hardware Acceleration with vStorage APIs for Array Integration.

What about HP? Surfing web, I didn't find any related information about supporting Hardware Acceleration on HP Storage

Any docs? Comments?
4 REPLIES 4
Scott Langer
Advisor

Re: EVA Storages and Hardware Acceleration with vStorage APIs for Array Integration (VAAI)

I was wondering the same thing... anyone??
Kyle Weir
Advisor
Solution

Re: EVA Storages and Hardware Acceleration with vStorage APIs for Array Integration (VAAI)

Okay, I was at the vmware conference, spoke with some HP people (I'm persistent)
In any case I found out it'll be availble for the 4400, very soon if not already they demo'd it for the 4400 at the show.

Now for the 6100's and 8100's which is what I have that won't be availble till around march of next year from what they told me. Now what that actually equates to who the hell knows. I'd love to see a real response from HP, heck a section of their site for VMWARE stuff running on HP. Which could have things like this as well as the best practices... It's annoying as hell that you don't hear about anything until 6 months after the fact and their like well why haven't you been doing it the new way. hmm, because they don't inform us very well.
Arman Obosyan
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Kyle Weir,
yep Q1 2011, waiting forward!

I found useful information on
http://vmlab.ge/understanding-vstorage-api-for-array-integration-vaai

Arman.
Kyle Weir
Advisor

Okay, well I just discovered they pushed back the date. I think it's so they can do additional testing. As well as get dataprotector to work better with it. In any case it's now going to be Q3/Q4 of 2011.
It looks like Brian who went to the vmware convention in Europe got a more up to date time frame.

http://www.virtualizetips.com/2010/11/which-storage-array-vendors-support-vmware-vaai-today/