108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4400 and Command View 10.2 not seeing the controllers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

EVA4400 and Command View 10.2 not seeing the controllers

Hi folks, anyone else experienced these issues.

I have a 4400 currently on XCS10000000 WOCP 0001.4300 CV 10.2.0

Server 2003

I can see the HSV300 controllers in device manager and can see the EVA in the WOCP CV screens but the clean install of CV10.2 says it cannot find any EVAs. I know I'm missing something obvious but can't see what. Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

Howdy, 

you'll need multipathing installed as well and the server needs to be zoned to both controllers.

Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Cheers Johan, not sure if multipathing is installed on that server, I'll give it a go. However the server is direct attached to then controllers (yes I set them to direct via the WOCP) so there is only one path to each controller using a dedicated HBA.

I have tried it through a switch and had the same result, no EVA seen so that's why I set the ports to direct. Is this a new feature of CV 10 then?  I have never needed multipathing on the CV server before, only on Hosts with Vdisks presented to them.

Perhaps there are some Windows patches needed.
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

been thinking along those lines, but although the server has been online and appears to be patched up to date I can't find any documentation as to which hot fixes I may need, and there are quite a few to choose from!

This is really fraustrating, got seven EVAs and three CV servers (one for the 5k, one for the 6k and 8k and one for the 4400s) and never had CV fail so completely, the change from the 9.x style to the new 10.x without comprehensive documentation seems to have been an epic fail by HP  :(

Of course, with the 10000000 firmware I cannot use the old CV9.x server now, as it sees the EVA but says it is not supported, aargh.

Solution

Havent set one of these up in a while, but perhaps there is something more you need to do in the WOCP.

There is a workaround note in the 10.2 release notes about a hotfix that fixes where a 2003 server does not see the array (if it's for management). Cannot copy right now sorry.
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Johan you are my new favourite person :-)  I didn't use that hotfix as it said it was for systems that had experienced the STOP error, which I had not. However it HAS resolved the invisible EVA problem, so thank you, and have a bucket of kudos.

this hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945119/en-us

Great stuff! Thanks for replying back with the solution :)