108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA8100 diskgroup occupancy alarm best practice

SOLVED
Go to solution
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Now I understand why I try to avoid those FATAl disk drives in projects ;-)
S. Boetticher
Regular Advisor

yes, they are really different from the FCs (I have one EVA with both types, so I can measure the performance differences), however buying 96 1TB FATA vs. 96 450GB 15K FC is a big price difference, and you get double the storage. So for a VTL project with HW-compression before the data hits the spindles they are o.k. :-)
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Ref earlier post which is not quite correct (maybe a typo?) anyway:

"Occupancy alarm level is a percentage of the total disk group capacity in blocks. When the number of blocks in the disk group that contain user data reaches this level, an event code is generated. The alarm level is specified by the user."

The Occupancy alarm IS NOT "user data". This is the amount of space in a disk group that has been assigned for use - Vdisks, snapshots, snapclones, protected space etc.

Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
krs2prs
Advisor

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all you replies.
regards,
krs
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

NEW Disk drive firmware bundle:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/COL17475/co-71198-1/HDDBundled_Image_2009_05_12.zip

The following 7.2K RPM HP06 enhancements are included in this release:

Fixed an issue with exchange timeouts in low temperature environments by decreasing the RAW (Read After Write) temperature threshold.

Fixed an issue where command timeouts would occur due to an overlapped command in the queue.

Fixed an issue where the drive would hang due to near-sequential writes interacting with RAW.

Fixed an issue of a drive hang caused during a read command after several queue-full responses during deep queue read testing.

Fixed an issue where the drive would Assert during sequential reads when the sequential read command was terminated by a check condition.

Fixed an issue in which the drive would erroneously SMART trip for ESI errors.

The following 15K RPM HP06 enhancements are included in this release:

Fixed an issue where command timeouts would occur due to an overlapped command in the queue.

Fixed an issue where the drive would hang due to near-sequential writes interacting with RAW.

Fixed an issue of a drive hang caused during a read command after several queue-full responses during deep queue read testing.

Fixed an issue in which the drive would erroneously SMART trip for ESI errors.

Fixed an issue where the drive would Assert during sequential reads when the sequential read command was terminated by a check condition.

S. Boetticher
Regular Advisor

Thank you vcspon!

I'll have HP onsite tomorrow for update (they want to do it due to the escalation process).

Unfortunately a new XCS0950xxxx is not to be released soon (they won't risk a third recalled XCS in a row), so I have to live with the now recalled XCS09501100 for some weeks. At least all my problems are gone :-)
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Is the new XCS out for the EVA*400's?
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
S. Boetticher
Regular Advisor

well, I got 09501400 under special conditions and know, that they even have a newer one...

but nothing official released yet, should arrive end of August/Start of september...