New Discussion юеВ

Eva Active,passive

SOLVED
Go to solution
krsukuma
Frequent Advisor

Eva Active,passive

Hi,

There is a failure in both the cache battery in Controller A, we need to bring down the Controller A to replace it.Now the question is how to find the controller is Active-active or active-passive. is there any way to find from CV.
Please find the attached snapshot.
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Eva Active,passive

Hi,

If you click on the top level icon for the EVA within Command View, you should see a System section, showing Version etc.

If the Version is 3xxx then you're active-passive. If its 4xxx then its active-active.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Check Page 6..
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

FYI...

Active/passive means that one controller is active to process I/O requests, while the other is idle in standby mode ready to take over I/O activity should the active primary controller fail or be taken offline.

An active/active configuration enables both controller nodes to process I/Os, and provide a standby capability for the other. Also this involves a battery backed mirrored cache, in which the contents of a controller's cache is mirrored to another for data integrity and availability.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

There are different interpretations for active/active (symmetric? asymmetric?) and active/passive (true standby controller for all logical disks? or just ownership of a particular logical/virtual disk?).

The EVA is not a 'controller standby' array (and has not been since version 1.0) like the MSA1xxx with old active/passive firmware. Even with active/passive firmware, virtual disk ownership can divided between both EVA controllers, so both can do process host I/Os (each one for different virtual disks).

And cache mirroring is not a feature of A/A arrays alone - it has been standard on A/P EVAs, again since V1.0, and its precursor: the HSG controller.
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Thank you Uwe. Totally concur with your statements.