4995 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP EVA and defrag???

Gerald Taylor
Frequent Advisor

HP EVA and defrag???

Hello Guru's

I have a curious question revolving around the use of the EVA series of storage from HP. Wondering if you all run defragmentation steps on windows volumes that are kept in the EVA. The EVA quick specs mention "Virtual disk data load leveling (non-disruptive background activity)" but does this mean you don't have to schedule regular deframentation or buy software "Diskkeeper" on windows volumes.

So the basic question is if you have an EVA do you run regular defrag's or have a defragmentation software? Would love to hear from as many people as possible. Thanks for your input.

Gerald
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I do recommend to run defragmentation. This helps an array controller (no matter if it is an EVA or something else) to better detect sequential access patterns. An EVA or any other array controller just operates on blocks and cannot optimize file layouts.

Some time ago I've read about a test that somebody from VMware did inside guest OSes. They could measure performance improvements after the defrag. Sorry, it looks like I did not keep the URL to that article.
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

No relation between Levelling done by Controller and Defragment.

I dont think much value will get by defragment as the IO is splitted to all the HDDs and EVA will handle IOs normally. I never seen customer running defragment on EVA Storage volumes. By Following the Best practices and Latest drivers and Firmware and MPIO and EVA firmware will give better performace always.

Its your wish to run the defragment still wants to run it..
Gerald Taylor
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your responses. I'm thinking we can avoid buying defrag software for windows systems. I guess time will tell. I still have concern about windows performance without having a constant defrag software running but its probably just because I'm an old unix guy.

Siv, I apoligize for the inadvertant assigment of 2 points that was suppose to be seven if you would like to reply I will re-assign points.

Thank you.

Gerald

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

What is wrong with the built-in windows defrag software?
Mikko Niskanen_1
Frequent Advisor

Aye, Windows defrag starting at W2000 is based on stripped-down version of Diskeeper. Suppose it does the job, but paid versions may have more options.