1752730 Members
5720 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA2000 volume replication.

Malcolm Watts
Frequent Advisor

MSA2000 volume replication.

Has any one tried volume replication between 2 MSA2000's?

I have purchased the HP Storageworks storage mirroring software (badged Double Take software), and this is trying to do the mirroring at the raid level, looks like it would work if I was mirroring clusters.

The 2 MSA2000 are in the same san fabric, one is the main cluster resource share, the other as a DR clone of the main share MSA2000.

The 2 MSA2000's are visible to both cluster servers.

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

The HP Storage Mirroring solution is a source host to target host replication solution.

Are you trying to replicate a drive presented to the server (from one MSA2000) to a second drive (from the other MSA2000) presented to the same server? If so I'm not sure that HP Storage Mirroring is the solution for you.
Malcolm Watts
Frequent Advisor

Indeed, I think that it now looks like the MSA volume replication facility is the way forward.
Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

I'm fairly sure you will find that the MSA2000 clone option is to clone a LUN within a system NOT to clone from one MSA2000 to another. If you want that sort of functionality at the SAN level you would need to move up to an EVA based solution with the "Continuous Access" license.

The other choice would be to look for 3rd party software. I'm fairly sure something like Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows will do what you want. http://www.symantec.com/business/storage-foundation-for-windows

Of course you would want to grab a trial to make sure.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

HI,

would concur with mark here , no array to array block level replication for msa2000 --> msa2000 exists.

Malcolm Watts
Frequent Advisor

Mirroring software uninstalled and sent back for credit, as the dying MA8000 has only need to be failed over at the storage works level once in its 8 life, it was demed that the built in resilience of the servers, switches, MSA2000, raid etc we can live with out the mirroring.
Also it gives us and extra 3TB of space to play with.
Thanks to all that responded.