HPE EVA Storage
1752369 Members
6013 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA2000i controller swap and Firmware upgrade.

SOLVED
Go to solution
andibigb
Occasional Contributor

MSA2000i controller swap and Firmware upgrade.

Hi Guys,

we have a MSA2000i, and one of the controllers has failed (controller A) twice so HP has sent us a replacement.

The Firmware currently on both controllers are on M111R06 and i believe the new controller is likely to be running M114R01-01 though until all plugged in i can not confirm this. The option for "Partner Firmware Update" is currently unticked.

My questions are

1. could i enable the "Partner Firmware Update" option, as the 2 current controllers are the same firmware it should not need to do anything. Then hot swap the faulty controller and im guessing that will then allow for controller B to be upgraded to the newer Firmware via this "Partner Firmware Update". would this work?

2. Would the 2 controllers be able to work on different firmwares if it could not update the other controller until i manually did it?

3. if i do have to manually upgrade Contoller B, the HP techy i had a online chat with was unsure if i could jump straight to the new Firmware or if i would need to hop a few steps to get it to the latest. Has anyone done this and if so what did they find?

Thanks very much.

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The factory default is partner firmware update, so the controller with the newer firmware (not the new controller in every case) will update the controller with the older firmware.

I prefer to disable PFU and update the controllers one by one using FTP or SMU.

The latest is not M114R01-01, but M114P01-01.
(note the "P").

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
andibigb
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.

So if i do it manually, will both work together with quite a difference in Firmware until i manually upgrade the controller B do you know?

andibigb
Occasional Contributor

Sorry also will all the original setting be transfered over to the new controller such as IP addresses or will they need manually setting up again.  should i take not of any particular settings to check after.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

The array can work with different firmware levels for a short time - it has no choice ...

There are NO settings on the controllers, most settings are on the disks, some on the enclosure midplane.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
andibigb
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much for your help.

Have a good day!!