108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migration from MSA1500 to P2000

SOLVED
Go to solution
SRCPLee
Occasional Contributor

Migration from MSA1500 to P2000

I am attempting to migrate a server from an MSA1500 to a P2000 G3. The server is running W2k3 server with the HP MPIO DSM driver and SP. When I present the new disk on the P2000 to the server, the SP and DSM do not see it and I see multiple disk devices in diskman. I located the DSM for P2000 but it does not list the MSA1500 as a supported device in the release notes. If I install the DSM for P2000, will I lose support for the existing MSA device ?

I only need to support the MSA device long enough to migrate the data to the new P2000 device.

2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Migration from MSA1500 to P2000

The MSA1500 and the MSA2xxx are 2 totally different storage controllers.

That being said, the easier thing to probably do is only present 1 path from the P2000 initially.  Copy your data over... get rid of the MSA1500 and related software... install the new MPIO package... and present the rest of the paths to the server.

In some instances, it is save to run multiple versions of mpio... I think the full featured packages only will work together.

What version is the firmware on the MSA1500? if it is not the Active/Active firmware, you probably don;t have a full featured DSM package.  Check the release notes for the DSM.  They should tell you if they can coincide with other DSM packages.

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
SRCPLee
Occasional Contributor

Re: Migration from MSA1500 to P2000

It is the active/active version (7.20) and the full-featured DSM is installed on the server.

I think using the single-path method would be the safest way to get the data migrated. I had thought of just presenting via one path, but couldn't break the old "redundant" way of thinking.