HPE EVA Storage
1753701 Members
4844 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

P2000 G3 SAS cable settings windows clustering.

gortex_78
Occasional Contributor

P2000 G3 SAS cable settings windows clustering.

Hi,

i am wundering on  how we shuld set up the cables betwen the p2000 and the servers when we plan to use Winodws 2008 active/passiv clustering

the p2000 has 4 ports on controller a 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 , 1-4

and 4 ports on controler b 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4

Shold the first server be connected to 1-1 and 2-1 and the secound server be connected to 1-2 and 2-2?

is there a resone why we should not connect the first server to 1-1 and the second to 2-1?

if we use 1 controler on 1 server we can connect 8 servers if we use 2 controlers on 1 server then we can connect 4 servers

2 REPLIES 2
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: P2000 G3 SAS cable settings windows clustering.

Hello,

AFAIK you can technically connect the servers anywhere you want.

HP may have some recommendations (or maybe even requirements?) in regards to which setups they support etc.

I believe the idea is to have same port going to the same 'place' - be it server in your case or switch. If you know that port 1 on both controllers go to the same server (maybe server1?) then I believe that getting an understanding of the cabling/setup is quicker.

Wouldn't you want to use two SAS connections/server for redundancy?
papston

Re: P2000 G3 SAS cable settings windows clustering.

HP actually has some great documentation on this with diagrams etc;

"HP P2000 G3 MSA Systems Installation Instructions"

In Basic:

Server 1 port one to MSA controller A port one, Server 1 port two to controller B port one

Server 2 port one to MSA controller A port two, Server 2 port two to controller B port two

See attached.