HPE EVA Storage
1748129 Members
3739 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Problem with assigning LUNs to host in EVA8400 .

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hadi93
Advisor

Problem with assigning LUNs to host in EVA8400 .

Hi !! 

I have two EVA8400  storage systems and I 've got a problem with one of them !!

i have defined some Vdisks in command view   and i have presented them to host (windows server 2008 R2) many times .

the problem is, LUNs do not get assigned to host . in another word, i could never find any hard drive (LUN) in Disk Managment of OS . 

Vdisk host LEDs are off on both HSV-450 and there is no warning or Error on Command view .

I tried it with another EVA8400 storage system with the same candition and the same configuration and everything was OK  and LUNs got assigned to the same host  completely .

What's wrong with the first storage system ?????

i'm looking to forward hearing from you !!! 

11 REPLIES 11
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello, do you have proper SAN zoning between server and storage in case you use SAN? Or is your server connected directly to EVA?

Jan

Hadi93
Advisor

No  !! the connection is direct and there is no SAN switch between server and storage system and also the connection type is direct on the OCP .

This system was working correctly recently, then this problem suddenly happend .

Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Hi, I;ve seen this a couple of time. Something that often helps is to disconnect the FC cable from the host ports and change from direct to fabric and back again from the OCP then re-connect the FC cables.

thanks !!! but this solution not useful  !!!

can you give us another way to solve this problem  ?

Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

by "not useful" do you mean you tried it and it did not work?  Are both EVAs on the same controller code version, and are any LUNs visible to any other Hosts from the faulty EVA?  Can you post the controller event log capture zip?

Hi !!  thanks !

I tried it and it did not work !! and both controller are in the same code version ..

I sent you all of the capture event of controllers and storage system ...

thanks for your help !!!

Hadi93
Advisor

controllers event logs.  

Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi,

thanks, that helps.  Your controller ID ending 0545 has failed; 83002014; A failure was detected during the execution of this controller's on-board diagnostics.
Reason:         Test Element: 24.; (Config and Init Port regs); Test number: 0.; Duplicate error count: 118.; Error code: 18000201; Address of error: FE0B0170; Expected data: 00000000; Actual data: 00100000.

So there's your debug flag!

Your other controller (ending de2c) appears to have stopped host I/O due to both cache batteries having failed, you could try swapping the batteries between the two controllers and see if the surviving one then comes online. The controllers stop I/O without a good battery as all writes go through the cache so it is done to prevent data loss.

Hi !

thanks for your Help :)  !!! it is working right now  !!!!

but i need to know that how did you found this solution by reading Controller Event Logs ?

which line show this Error ??? 

thanks !!