1748265 Members
3690 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Process to move all disks from EVA3000 to EVA8100

Ann Ayson
Advisor

Process to move all disks from EVA3000 to EVA8100

We are decommissioning an EVA3000 and I'd like to take the disks from the EVA3000 and put them in our EVA8100. Both arrays use 300 GB 10K drives. Are there any gotcha's I need to worry about? My plan is the unitialize the EVA3000, ungroup all disks from the default disk group, and then delete the disks (using command view "delete"). Once I've done the steps above I plan to move all the disks to the EVA8100 and add those disks to the default disk group on the EVA8100 (the only disk group we have is the default disk group). (I've checked the firmware levels for the disk model in the EVA3000 and they are at the lastest level of firmware).

On the EVA8100 I've changed the Device Addition Policy to "Manual". I also will be adding the new disks (48 total) in groups of 8, vertically across enclosures. The EVA8100 currently has 112 disks and with the 48 we'll end up with a total of 160 disks. Once all drives are in the EVA8100 I'll be adding them into the default disk group.

Am I missing anything? Should I be adding the disks to the disk groups all at once or perhaps 8 at a time (i.e. will adding smaller groups at a time decrease load on the EVA?).

Thanks.

P.S. Earlier I had found a posting about my last question, i.e. add all disks at once or in smaller groups, but I can't find it anymore. Sorry for re-posting a question that's already been asked and answered.
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

I don't understand your idea of the first part of the process. If the EVA3000 is not being used anymore and contains no important data, just unitialize it and move the disks one by one to the EVA8100.

After all disks are on the EVA8100, add them all together to the disk group. This will let the EVA organize the RSS knowing how many disks there will be and where they are located. Also will avoid RSS split and merge due to several changes on the number of disks.
Ann Ayson
Advisor

I wasn't sure if the only step necessary was to uninitialize the array. I wasn't sure what all "unitialize" encompassed. I'm very new to EVA's as all my past experience has been with EMC.

There are absolutely no servers attached to the EVA3000 anymore so I can blow it away. Sounds like all I need to do is unitialize the EVA3000 to take care of everything involved with freeing up the disks in one fell swoop.

Thanks so much for your reply.
BrianPB
Occasional Advisor

I would also make sure the Firmware on the drives are updated to match the firmware for the 8100 before putting data on them. You can update the drives yourself, or ask support about how to do it.

Ann Ayson
Advisor

Yes, luckily I had read (on this forum!) that the firmware level was important.