7374 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SAN disk performance verses Internal Disk

Shivkumar
Super Advisor

SAN disk performance verses Internal Disk

Hello,

Are SAN storage disk more faster than internal attached disk ?
I believe all SAN are connected through Fiber Channel and internal disks are never connected through Fibre Channel and hence maybe much slower than SAN.

Thanks,
Shiv
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: SAN disk performance verses Internal Disk

What do you define as 'faster'? MegaBytes per second?

There is no general rule. Performance depends on a number of factors.

I've seen reports here on ITRC that a local disk or RAID array in a specific situation was faster than an expensive external Fibre Channel array. Now, those arrays are usually designed for many small concurrent I/Os while some people like to test for single-stream MegaBytes/second.

There are also some situations where a 'cheap' SATA disk drives can offer more MegaBytes/second than a 'high-performance' Fibre Channel disk - the secret in that case was different disk geometries and densities.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: SAN disk performance verses Internal Disk

You have 2 limits here:

1) Number of disks. Each disk can handle a certain amount of MB/s and I/Os per second. It does not matter if it's IDE, SATA, SAS, FC, Firewire... An array of 50 disks beats an array of 5 disks anytime.

2) Connection. The data from/to the array has to go though a controller and a link. It can be:

- Parallel SCSI: 320 MB/s per channel
- SATA: 150/300 MB/S to each drive
- SAS: 300 MB/s to each drive
- FC: 100 - 800 MB/s per link
- iSCSI: 10 - 100 MB/s per link

So an array of SAS disks attached locally can be faster than the same number of disks on a SAN storage device, yes. SAN is nor for speed, is for sharing storage and provision it on demand.