1748153 Members
3538 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading EVA3000 to EVA6100 Licensing Query

jeffturl_1
Advisor

Upgrading EVA3000 to EVA6100 Licensing Query

I am looking to upgrade our EVA3000 to an EVA6100, I have had pricing for the controllers, loop switches, I/O cards to upgrade.  But was wondering what happens with licensing, here is the licensing for the current EVA3000:

If I am replacing the existing controllers with new controllers, does the license transfer over or not, or do i need to buy anything else?

Inactive All Instant-On Unlimited 11-Jul-2010 60 Day Inst - HP StorageWorks Command View EVA Instant-On

Valid Business Copy Basic 1 Permanent T5347AAE - HP Bus Copy EVA3K Ser 1TB LTU

Valid CV General Basic 2 Permanent T5172A - HP CV EVA 3000 1TB Lic

Valid CV General Upgrade Unlimited Permanent T5173AAE - HP CV EVA 3000 Upgd to Unlim Lic

9 REPLIES 9
Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

There have been upgrade licenses around, but no longer listed in the Quick Specs. All software features you want to use after the hardware upgrade must be upgraded (additional license) or ordered as a new product. An upgrade license (EVA6100 upgrade) requires the previous one (EVA3000) to be installed. Ask HP sales for assistance.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12239_div/12239_div.pdf

Regards,
Sebastian
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Don't forget to get a licence for command view (if you currently run a version below ver. 7).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

He should be CV7+ since HP CV EVA 3000 1TB Lic is listed in his post. Without base CV license no management will be possible.

Regards,
Sebastian
jeffturl_1
Advisor

Thanks everyone for your responces.  We are running CV 9.4 as we also have an EVA6400 as the primary EVA (3000 being used for backups) so CV is already licensed as part of the 6400.

So i need to get an upgrade license to 6100 from the 3000 then?

Regards
Jeff

Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

To have the newly upgraded EVA6100 working with the same features, you need the following...

- Command View EVA EVA3000 to EVA6100 upgrade LTU (on top of your CV EVA3000 unlimited LTU) / required per EVA

- Business Copy EVA EVA3000 to EVA6100 upgrade LTU (on top of your BC EVA3000 1TB LTU) / you have to decide if this still required

There are no 1TB LTUs available anymore. HP has moved to a on/off licensing model. (only unlimited LTUs available for EVA products)

Regards,

Sebastian

jeffturl_1
Advisor

Sebastian, thanks for that.

So if I bought a second hand pair of controllers and the previous owner already had the LTU for the 6100,
firstly is this transferable as part of buying the controllers? If so would I need a license code from them as part of the purchase to make the 6100 controllers work and be manageable through my CV, or is the license information held on the controllers?

Thanks
Jeff

Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

It depends on what you want to do. If you need to maintain EVA3000 configuration including data and meta data plus WWNN, then you need to buy upgrade licenses. They will remain in the system and the upgrade LTUs will just enable EVA management since the product number of the array has changed.

If can can start over, you need to re-initialize the array with the new WWNN/checksum (must be supplied with the controller pair and switches / ask for it, since this is not included by default) and apply the license provided afterwards. The license information is stored in MLD on the quorum disks. The controller is dump without the originating disks and contains barely nothing.

Regards,

Sebastian

jeffturl_1
Advisor

Sebastian, thanks for your help.  The plan is to pull out the old 3000 controllers, there are currently no Vdisks on the 3000.  The 3000 has 56 disks installed on the 4 shelves.  The idea being to replace EMU, IO, controllers and add loop switches, allowing us to reuse the existing disks. 

So the 3000 will be removed, and no data to migrate!

So with the new controller pair, I have to initialize it, what exactly do I need from the company I get the controllers from? Installing a new EVA is not something I have ever done, I have only picked up the admin from the previous guy. 

Thanks
Jeff

Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

In that case you should uninitialize the EVA3000 to remove old metadata from the disks before upgrade. After the upgrade the EVA will boot up and ask for WWNN and matching checksum which needs to be provided by the supplier. (on a label located on the source array/rack) Also the EVA6100 license key (matching to this WWNN) for CV must be supplied and installed afterwards. An HP order number is also possible. In that case you can generate the license then for the EVA WWNN on http://webware.hp.com.

Regards,
Sebastian