1752777 Members
6568 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: eva 5000 nightmare

klb
Valued Contributor

eva 5000 nightmare

Anybody willing to help diagnose an eva5k that has never worked in my environment?

It's new to us but was purchased ~used~ from a broker. It is nice and shiney and new looking, has pretty blinking lights and is loaded with lots of fast drives.

However, unless my system can talk to those drives, it is nothing more than an expensive piece of art.

More seriously though...

HSV110 based w/Brocade switches ( we think ). All the cabling and initial hardware install was done by HP and certified correct.

I am able to build Vdisks and present them to a host running Secure Path 3.0F.

After quite a lot of fiddling around with the UNIX box, a device did finally show up in ioscan. However, any access to the device with hp-ux commands results in a very hard hang, forever, requiring a reboot to make it go away. Even ioscan hangs forever now, which is not good.

I've been told by HP Software support that the problem ~could~ be in the switch configuration or zoning.

How do I connect to the switch? What's the default password and if the previous owner of this stuff set an unknown password, is there a way to reset the switch(s) back to factory settings without logging into them?

Anybody aware of non-HP documentation on the subject of configuring one of these EVA units and/or the secure path software? The HP doco is very poor.

Thanks,

-Kevin

22 REPLIES 22
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Kevin,

1. First are you actually able to use the Windows SMA (applicance) and talk to the Array and See your Server's HBAs and have configured hostgroups? (Assuming the connections are certified oK and your zoning is ok).

2. What version of SecurePath did you install? Active/Passive or Active-Active? You should have installed the Active/Passive flavour -- with which a spmgr command should be available on your system.

Let me know.

Or you best bet is get HP support if you've a service contract.

Hakuna Matata.
klb
Valued Contributor

1.)
SMA? If you are referring to the Command View software running on the Windows box located in the EVA, then yes.

With Command View I was able to build Vdisks and add Hosts, but I had to manually enter the Port_ID of my HBA's ( they were not listed for me ).

2.)
I installed 3.0F Active/Passive version and all required patches identified by the doco as well as an HP Software support person.

>Or you best bet is get HP support if >you've a service contract.
Yes, well, my current support ticket regarding this has ground down to a halt due to the Engineer suspecting that the zones are causing trouble. Now I'm forced to have a look at that. However, I've no clue how to talk to the switch. The HP guy seems to think the switches should have IP connectivity, but they do not.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

You may probly have a zoning issue.. Does the output of "tdutil /dev/td0 get remote all" give you any indication that your server can see the HSV congtrollers? (Try also for the other td1).

Be reminded also that you need at least one VDISK presented to your host and 1 reboot so HP-UX will be able to see your EVA (verify via "spmmgr display"). After that initial presentaion, subsequent presentations and de-presentations will no longer require a reboot. Presentations then will simply need to be followed by "ioscan;insf -e" and you should be able to see your EVA disks..

Hakuna Matata.
klb
Valued Contributor

tdutil output and spmgr display output follows below.

Note that the LUN address is all zeros. Also, getting multiple path failover emails on the host.

# tdutil /dev/td0 get remote all

Target N_Port_id is = 0x010100
Target state = DVS_READY
Symbolic Name = HSV110 (C)COMPAQ - neps - CR0A3E
Port Type = N_PORT
SLER Capable (supports Retry & TRID) = NO
Target Port World Wide Name = 0x50001fe15003ad69
Target Node World Wide Name = 0x50001fe15003ad60

Common Service parameters (all values shown in hex):
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Version_Hi: 9 Version_Low: 9
BB_Credit: 0 Ciro: 1
Alt_BBcred: 1 Rxsz: 800
Conseq: ff RO_Bitmap: 1
Resolution: 0 EDTOV(ms): 0

Vendor version (in hex) 0 0 0 0
-------------------------------------------------------------
#

# tdutil /dev/td1 get remote all

Target N_Port_id is = 0x010200
Target state = DVS_READY
Symbolic Name = HSV110 (C)COMPAQ - neps - CR0A3E
Port Type = N_PORT
SLER Capable (supports Retry & TRID) = NO
Target Port World Wide Name = 0x50001fe15003ad68
Target Node World Wide Name = 0x50001fe15003ad60

Common Service parameters (all values shown in hex):
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Version_Hi: 9 Version_Low: 9
BB_Credit: 0 Ciro: 1
Alt_BBcred: 1 Rxsz: 800
Conseq: ff RO_Bitmap: 1
Resolution: 0 EDTOV(ms): 0

Vendor version (in hex) 0 0 0 0
-------------------------------------------------------------

#

# spmgr display
Server: neps1 Report Created: Thu, Mar 02 16:08:07 2006
Command: spmgr display
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Storage: 5000-1FE1-5003-AD60
Load Balance: Off Auto-restore: Off
Path Verify: On Verify Interval: 30
HBAs:td0 td1
Controller: P5849D5AAPW01R, Operational
Devices: c13t0d0

TGT/LUN Device WWLUN_ID H/W_Path #_Paths
0/ 0 c13t0d0 0000-0000-0000-0000-0000-0000-0000-0000 4
255/255/0/0.0
Controller Path_Instance HBA Preferred? Path_Status
P5849D5AAPW01R YES
c6t0d1 td0 no Available
c6t0d2 td0 no Available
c9t0d1 td1 no Available
c9t0d2 td1 no Available
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,
Can you serial into the switch - u should have got a serial cable with it. I don't think it is a std null-modem cable, but I've been wrong before. Id/password combo by default is admin/password but if this has been changed then only hope (IIRC) is HP/brocade talking you through interrupting the boot sequence and flattening the switch passwords back to defaults. For this you have to be logged in on the serial port though.

Default IP address used to be 10.177.177.177 - u could x-over cable into the rj45 port from a similarly IP'd laptop. Try the default id/password combo you never know.

Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Stiwi Wondrusch
Trusted Contributor

Hi Kevin

What type of SAN Switch do you have?
Is something like this written on it:
HP StorageWorks 4/16 SAN Switch?

Then for Doku:
from: http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/saninfrastructure/switches.html
to: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?locale=en_US&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1143930тМй=en&cc=us
to page 46/47: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00498167/c00498167.pdf

Connecting should be the same on all HP StorageWorks x/y SAN Switches = B Series Switches = Brocade Switches.

rgds Stiwi
klb
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'll be in front of the machine tomorrow and will be able to answer switch-specific questions as well as a few of my own.

Hopefully those passwords were never set beyond their default values. However, if they have been, there is a procedure apparently involving the serial# and such to the manufacturer, this according to HP support.

thanks,

-Kevin
Nicholas Stolar
Advisor

Is this an internal or external? From th einfo you have given the 5000 is a SureStore? If so I am using one now with XP Pro,you said you are running UNIX and there are jumpers on the back of the drive. The default Target or ID=3 LUN=0 Bus=0 Port=4 Before I go off on without knowing, check the tape also, the 5000 uses only 4mm DDS-1 90, anything other than the 90 will not work...
nicholas_t
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Kevin is dealing with an "Enterprise Virtual Array 5000" - a Fibre Channel storage array, not a DAT drive.