Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Any Alternative to BNA server for Brocade Discovery

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Advisor

Any Alternative to BNA server for Brocade Discovery

Is there any alternative available to discover Brocade switches ?

What BNA server Edition is required ? (Professional ,Professional Plus , Enterprise edition)

BNA enterprise edition is the licensed version and it will add an extra cost to your SOM Implementation plan.

9 REPLIES
Frequent Advisor

Re: Any Alternative to BNA server for Brocade Discovery

Hi Tejendra,

SOM/SE require BNA in order to capture Switch information, there is no alternative. However You don't need to License BNA as the SMI-s part is free and does not require a license. When you install BNA with SMI-s (where SMI-s is mandatory anyhow), you also get the regular  Program links. If you try to start them they will ask you for a license and without a license you will not be able to use the full BNA Product - but to discover your Switches and add them into BNA you can use BNA's Server Management Console. This Console is Java based and allows you to add your fabrics/switches into BNA so that SOM can capture the switch information. The Server Management Console will not prompt you for a license. Since we support snmp traps from BNA/Brocade Switches in SOM 10.20 I will have to check if the snmp configuration can be done when using the BNA Server Management Console only.

Hope that helps.

Advisor

Thanks Dieter ,

Thanks for the information.

Can we only install SMI-S agent during BNA installation and can add/discover Brocade ?

Frequent Advisor

If I remeber correctly you install the full product with SMI-s and for the configuration you use only the BNA Server Management Console. I can remember if newer BNA Versions still have the option SMI Agent Only which was present in BNA 11.x. If you start the BNA installer you will soon find out.

Regards

Dieter

Advisor

Hello Dieter ,

I've just found out that it works for CMCNE 11.x

I have installed only SMI-Agent and can discover Switches from Management server console.

That was really a good help and great information. Thanks a LOT

Frequent Advisor

Tejendra,
what do you mean with CMCNE 11.x ? Is this the EMC branded BNA ? and if yes, do you know if the version 11.x corresponds to the similar version of the native BNA from Brocade ? The reason I'm asking is if it is similar like Brocades BNA version 11.x, you might run into issues if your Switches have newer FOS. As well as Brocade Access Gateway switches might not be supported in this 11.x Version.

Regards,

Dieter

Advisor

Hi Dieter ,

Yes it is the EMC branded BNA , and I think it is same as brocade in all fuctionality.

Frequent Advisor

Well I don't know the EMC branded BNA, but if they use the same Versioning as Brocade does, I would not recommend to use a 11.x Version. Recently BNA14.x was released which we support with SOM 10.20. I would at least use a 12.4.x Version.

Regards,

Dieter

Advisor

Thanks Dieter ,

I would consider your valuable suggestion.

Do you have the link where I can download BNA 14.x and what is server resource requirement for that ?

Frequent Advisor

Well one of the questions would be where you purchased your switches from. Did you order them via EMC, HPE or with Brocade ? I mean are BNA Versions you can get directly from Brocade or HPE , maybe as well as from EMC if you purchased them from there. The question would be, if you experience issues with the Software in combination with the Switches, then the best approach would be to contact the 'vendor'/'Dealer'  from where you purchased the switches as it might include a support contract. Basically, since the different re-sellers might only modify the UI of BNA to reflect their branding, it might not matter from where you download it as long as no modification to code was done.

If you want to download it from HPE you need to go to URL https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/ and on the main page (top right) search for  'SAN Network Advisor' which show you option to download Software and Drivers for "HPE B-series SAN Network Advisor Software ". Through the upcoming links you will find the desired version for download.

As I mentiones, and in case you will need support (based on a support contract), best approach is to get it from the re-seller your purchased the switches from.

Best Regards,

Dieter

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event