Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HP Storage Essentials Topology and front end dependencies

SOLVED
Go to Solution

HP Storage Essentials Topology and front end dependencies

Hi all,

I have few questions about HP Storage Essentials. After a fresh install of hp SE i added 2 Storage array HP XP24000 from the discovery menu by providing the ip and the admin account and went to the next steps involving getting the topology and the details about the system array.

when i click on the storage system from system manager, and from the topology tab i have a graph showing the array system and the ports only. And by clicking hosts at the front end dependecies, i get no results at all.

I would like to know if i should add the hosts that are mapped to the array so they can be visible from the topology tab ?

and also i would like to know if by adding the hosts i can List the front-end dependent hosts and show their properties and ?

thanks in advance

Regards,

Omar

2 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Storage Essentials Topology and front end dependencies

From what I know you should discover the fabrics first, the arrays next and finally the host to have a valid and consistent topology view.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please assign a KUDO to this post, if you find it useful.
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP Storage Essentials Topology and front end dependencies

As Sebastian mentioned, you would need to have discovered the related infrastructure. The orde of discovery (and subsequent discovery data collection) is not important, though the best practice would be to take it in phases, and start with configuring the "Product Health" (this discovers the SE server and it's Oracle DB - which are not counted toward licensing.next is fabric discovery, then run a Step 3 "Details" to populate the data for the fabric, continue on to storage device discovery, run another Step 3 "Details" and confirm the array(s) are stitching correctly to the fabric. The next step would be to define one or more rules for inferred "agentless" host discovery, where we would parse the HSG, zones, and/or aliases for a hostname, and then SE will automatically group the generic host placeholders (aka "discovered" hosts, which are simply WWNs on the fabric) and apply the hostname, FQDN, IP address to these containers - and SE will automatically show the "presented storage" against these inferred hosts - so you have a complete topology with very little effort. The following steps might include discovery of Virtual Center or ESX servers (also an "agentless" method), which will also show any VM Guest OS which are runnign VMTools. Then for Windows and LInux hosts, there is a new (SE 9.5.0) agentless discovery using WMI or SSH, or, the option of deploying the SE CIM Extension (Host Agent) to get the most complete discovery of the server level. Finally... you would then work on application/database discovery. At that point, depending on the systems in use, you migh have a variety of topology mappings in place, including FC, NPiV, ISL, routed SAN, FCAL, iSCSI and IP all visible in a single interface.

In terms of dependency (and impact) analysis, all of the above discovery (and subsequent data collection) will stitch together - so you can depict the full paths from application to spindle.

For some environments, folks may just target the arrays... but the value of the product multiplies with the breadth of discovery - since we automatically map the relationships - so best to extend the discovery and it will all come together.

Wiley Thrasher
Storage Management Expert
HP Storage TCE and Quality Tiger Team
WW L3 Pre-sales Support
Hewlett-Packard Company