Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SNMP traps configuration details

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Trusted Contributor

SNMP traps configuration details

Hello Team, I am in the process of configuring SNMP traps for 3PAR and Brocade Switches in HP SOM. The pre-requisiste is to add SOM IP in the ACL list of storage element, Open the communication port 161 and adding SNMP community strings in SOM. Please let me know, Is there anything else that I need to takecare ? Thanks, Hari
5 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: SNMP traps configuration details

Hello Hari,

SOM is built on top of the NNMi framework.   One of NNMi's main functions is event montioring.  As long as you configure the remote device to send SNMP events to the SOM management server, configure the SNMP community strings on the SOM management server and make sure that the 'Incident' configurations are enabled for your device types, then it should work.

More information is available on P. 293 of the SOM 10.10 User Guide.

If you have problems after making sure the steps specified within the SOM 10.10 User Guide, please go ahead and open a support case.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
HPE Expert

Hello Hari,

One additional item is that there is a step that you can take to confirm that the SNMP trap receiver is running on the SOM management server.

• Ensure SNMP trap receiver is running on SOM using the following command.
       %OvInstallDir%\bin\nnm\amd64\nnmtrapreceiver.exe -status 
       (Note: SNMP trap receiver listens on port 162 by default. The same port number needs to configured on the device side).
  • Ensure SOM is configured as trap receiver on the managed device.
  • If the device is configured to send SNMPv3 traps then ensure the same SNMPv3 credentials are configured in SOM. Also, data collection should be completed for the device once for SOM to receive SNMPv3 traps.
  • If the device was initially configured to send SNMPv1/2 traps and then reconfigured to send SNMPv3 traps then follow the steps below.
  1. Add SNPMv3 credentials for the device in SOM UI
  2. Run the command 
       %OvInstallDir%\bin\somrefreshsnmpcredentials –devices < List of IP address of device(s) separated by comma>
  3. Trigger data collection for the device(s) manually.
  • If the SNMP credentials are changed on the device at a later point of time then the same must be updated in SOM and data collection should be completed for the device once for SOM to receive SNMPv3 traps.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mark, Thanks for the information. I checked, Trap Receiver is running on my widows environment. As you mentioned SNMP trap receiver listens on port 162 by default, Then I need to allow only 162 port in the Firewall from device to SOM (161 is not required ?) To ensure SOM is configured as trap receiver, On manged node I will add SOM IP in ACL list. Do I need to add SNMP V3 credentials in 'SNMP Trap configuration' page as " Unique Name" Field ? Thanks, Hari
HPE Expert

Hello Hari,

You only need to configure SNMPv3 if that is how you are configuring the events.  Usually, if you are using SNMPv2, then you don't need to configure SNMPv3.

Historically, port 162 is the port that is used by agents to send SNMP traps to servers.  Port 161 is used by Servers to poll agents.

In your situation, where you are configuring devices to send traps to SOM, you will be configuring the agent (device) to send traps to the SOM management server, so there is no need to worry about port 161 between the devices and the SOM management server.

Port 161 would be used by the SOM management server if you were sending SNMP trap traffic to another application (Ex. OMi) from SOM.

I hope that this helps answer your question.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mark Thanks a lot for the information.