Storage Essentials Practitioners Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

(SOM) Support Tip: SOM database backup for Windows cannot be restored on Linux system.

HPE Expert

(SOM) Support Tip: SOM database backup for Windows cannot be restored on Linux system.

[ Edited ]

Hello SOM Community,

Today I thought I would share a practical tip to think about for those who are considering migrating from Windows to Linux.

SOM database backups from a Windows system cannot be restored to a Linux system and is not supported.

The reason for this is that the backup on Windows has compression enabled during the backup process while the backup on Linux does not support compression.

If you attempt to perform a restore on Linux from a SOM database backup performed on Windows, you will encounter the following messages.

[root@hostname]# /opt/OV/bin/somrestoreembdb.ovpl -source som-bak-20160415122539.pgd

WARNING: Running this command while SOM is running will cause sporadic
         failures in active sessions. Please ensure that only the nmsdbmgr
         process is running when executing this command (ovstart nmsdbmgr).

Are you sure you want to run a full database restore now? [n]
y
Performing full embedded database restore...

Problems encountered while restoring database som - please review the following
possible issues:
pg_restore: [archiver] WARNING: archive is compressed, but this installation does not support compression -- no data will be available
pg_restore: [archiver] cannot restore from compressed archive (compression not supported in this installation)

Embedded database restore operation failed.

This information is also contained within the following knowledge article on the Software Support Online (SSO) portal.

KM02384018 - "WARNING: archive is compressed, but this installation does not support compression" error when attempting to restore Storage Operations Manager (SOM) database.
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM02384018

I hope that this is helpful.  Good luck with your environments!

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event