Do you mean 

Storage Essentials, SMA and Storage Server

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Advisor

Storage Essentials, SMA and Storage Server

[ Edited ]

Hello,

My boss has been conviced by our HP representative that we need Storage Essentials. As a result, this is something he really wants to implement. We currently have 3 EVAs, one EVA5000 is managed by an SMAIII, and 2 EVA8000s which are managed by a Storage Server. Even though we do have Business Copy, it is rarely used, therefored the SMAIII and Storage Server are only used for storage provisioning on the EVAs. I understand that Storage Essentials will allow us to manage all (3) EVAs as well as FC switches from a centralized interface. which is a good thing. My question is, if we implement Storage Essentials, what happens to our SMAIII and Storage Server? Are they still required? If Storage Essentials replaces our SMA and Storage Server, what happens to our Command View EVA Unlimited licenses?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Amy

P.S. This thread has been moved fromStorage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise) to Storage Essentials Support and News Forum. -HP Forum Moderator

12 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Storage Essentials, SMA and Storage Server

Amy:

I can not claim to be a Storage Essentials expert. From my knowledge of the EVA, I know (or at least think I know) that you need Command View EVA no matter what.

In regards to your servers...

The SMAIII should be wiped out and re-installed with Windows Server 2003 Standard. Install Command View and Storage Essentials and that becomes your make management server for all 3 EVA's.

The Storage Server gets properly re-configured to act AS.... you guessed it... a Storage Server. Let it do its original functional job. The "Storage Server" is/was not meant to be a "Management Server". It is just very convenient to have it as a management server so you do not need another separate box to manage your EVA's. Since you HAVE the extra box, make proper use of the 2.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I agree with wiping the SMA and reinstalling it, and installing Command View on it to manage all 3 EVAs, but I don't think it's a good idea to install Storage Essentials there. SE is very resource hungry, especially for RAM. You need a minimum of 4GB for a small installation (20 hosts or so), or 6GB and Win2003 Enterprise if you are installing HPSIM on the same server. I don't think the SMA III has the RAM or CPU power needed. I've seen VERY strange things happening when you run SE on a machine that doesn't have enough memory - e.g. it somehow managed to disable the network interface on an EMC Clariion service processor!

The SE server doesn't need to be in the SAN.

You need to install the SMI-S provider for EVA on the Command View Server, SE uses this so it can provision the EVA. Although I'm still not sure how well it works with certain versions of Command View (5.0 and higher still don't seem to be supported with SE)

Regards,
Stephen
Honored Contributor

Sorry Steven, diasgree with you on multiple points:
1. Currently Storage Essentials and CV-EVA don't co-exist on the same box - port conflicts and SMI-S issues - so stop there!
2. Purely from a technical perspective - yes Storage Essentials has provisioning capability built in for EVAs as well as for the Fabric switches - so you could create Vdisks, delete, etc with Storage Essentials just as well as CV-EVA. You could also use Storage Essentials to create new fabric aliases, zones, etc. Having said that a seasoned SAN admin no doubt would still want to hang on to the well established provisioning tools such as CV-EVA and Fabric Management tools.
3. The thing I don't understand in your explanation is why you have different management servers to manage EVA5000 and EVA8000s. You could just use the SMAIII or your storage server and just run one instance of CV-EVA (Use CV-EVA V.6 to manage your EVA8Ks with XCS V.6.000 and VCS V.3.028 or above).
4. You will need a separate box to run Oracle + Storage Essentials and if you really want to do it properly - and want HP SIM integration with Storage Essentials as well then throw HP SIM on this box as well. CV-EVA can't go on this box!
5. The various SMI-S providers also have very stringent co-existence issues - so you will need to find another box to install the SMI-S provider for EVA and Brocade switches. But this could go on to your SMA or the storage server.

Always be very cautious with what drivers and software and ****SMI-S**** providers you install on the SE box!

Hope, this helps.
Advisor

Thanks for the replies.

Sasket, we are using an SMA to manage the EVA because it was installed before the EVA8000s. We are aware that we could use the SMA or storage server to manage all 3 EVAs. However, due to time constraints, and the fact we ordered a storage server with our EVA8000s we decided to leave the SMA dedicated to the EVA5000. Eventually we were going to get rid of the SMA and use the storage server to manage all 3 EVAs.

I am a little confused now about how SE provisions storage on the EVA. From some of the replies, it leads me to believe that SE still needs either an SMA or a Storage Server running Command view to be able to manage the EVAs. I was under the impression that Storage Essentials had some "built-in" mechanism to manage the EVAs, WITHOUT the need for a separate server running Command View. Am I mistaken?

Thanks for your help!

-Amy
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

SE has just a link to start Command View the same way you are doing it in your browser.
SE also starts Web GUI for SAN swithes, as you are doing it.
It is better to have separate server running CV.
You still can use your SMAIII, but it is worth to install Windows 2003 and CV.
Please check minimum requerements for SE server. We were told "at least 6 GB RAM, 2 Xeon CPUs",
which seems reasonable bcs. of Oracle database it is bundled with.

If Storage Essentials replaces your SMA and Storage Server, what happens to our Command View EVA Unlimited licenses?
SE does not replace them.
Honored Contributor

PWSMA2, no idea what version of SE you are referring to but the current one and the one that Amy is likely to deploy has no such thing!

SE has its own interface for EVA Management (Vdisk creation, deletion, hosts, DR groups, etc) and same for Fabric Management - different interface for creation of switch aliases, zones, etc.

PWSMA2, very curious to find out what version of SE have you got??

Amy, to answer your question about CV-EVA - my recommendation would be leave that alone - I hate to admit that if you have used CV-EVA and SE EVA provisioning tools both then I am almost confident that your preference would be for CV-EVA for EVA provisioning or atleast with the current version of SE anyway. This may ofcourse change with a later version of SE.

Honored Contributor

Amy,

CV-EVA licensing and SE licensing has no co-relation at all! You need to purchase separate licenses for SE (base kit comes with standard modules but you need to pay for additional modules such as Exchange or Oracle or Chargeback Manager, Report Builder, etc) - fabric licenses for SE also works on your fabric port count - keep all of this in consideration.
Honored Contributor

Hi,

SE has it's own way of discovering and provisioning disks on an EVA, but it utilises the SMI-S provider to do this. The SMI-S provider in turn requires Command View EVA (and both must be installed on the same server, but SE must be installed elsewhere). The SMI-S provider acts as a standard interface between an external storage management tool (e.g. Storage Essentials, or EMC Control Center) and the array management tool (e.g. Command View EVA, IBM ESS CLI, EMC Solution Enabler).

Regards,
Stephen
Honored Contributor

Amy,

do you have any further queries?have our responses helped you at all?if yes, could you please consider assigning some points to the responses??

Advisor

Thanks for all your responses. I ended up just using command view on the storage server for storage provisioning. Thanks again for the help!

-Amy
gbx
Occasional Visitor

I have a similar question, my boss has been convinced to have Storage Essentials too, but we currently have EMC Symmetrix, with Control Center and Solutions Enabler in use... how will all these tools integrate with the coming Storage essentials? is there any document on the support site or on this forum? Thanks!
Trusted Contributor

Amy

one thing everyone forgot to tell you look at the support matrix. Se does not at this moment in time support SMI-S for the EVA when using any Command View over 4.1. You will need command view as SE interacts with that to gather information from the evas, so it will be need to be installed on its own server. There two builds to consider with SE Dedicated and Shared. Although the product can stand on its own, HP integrate it with Systems Insight Manager, either by each being on its own server or combined on one box using an oracle database. Be careful if you intend to use the SMA as this was a specially built system to host command view eva on. As such the firmware was altered along with the build of windows os.