Storage Essentials

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have:

- MA8000
- StorageWorks SAN Switch 16
- SIM 5.0 SP4
- Storage Essentials 5.0

My Problem is, that I cannot discover the Switches, MA8000 and Exchange. The SIM haven't any problems to see them. So I think that the SIM uses IP, and SE uses Ports. But I don't sure.

Can anyone help me, that SE sees the Switches?

Best regards
M. Longardt

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise) to Storage Essentials Support and News Forum. -HP Forum Moderator

9 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Storage Essentials

Storage Essentials uses SMI-S...

So, you will need SMI-S providers for what you have - unfortunately, mostly only newer equipment have SMI-S providers.

The MA8000 and switch may be a problem - I don't know the availability of SMI-S for them. I'll look around and post back with anything I find...

Regards,
Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Honored Contributor

Well, it appears that there is SMI-S for HSG-80 boxes (ie: MA800)...

You need HSG Element Mgr 1.0f.03, SMI Provider 1.0f.03b/1.03. Read only: Does not support provisioning or events

Assuming you have a StorageWorks SAN Switch 2/16, it looks like you need to be at firmware 2.6.x or above

Can you confirm you actual switch model?

Thanks,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Advisor

Hello Vince,

thank you for your reply.

"You need HSG Element Mgr 1.0f.03, SMI Provider 1.0f.03b/1.03. Read only: Does not support provisioning or events"

When I understand it correct, then there are a Manager which can use SMI-S? Do you know where I can get these Manager? And what do you mean with "Does not support provisioning or events"???

I have a 1Gb StorageWorks SAN Switch 16 with OS 2.6.0h.

Best regards.
M. Longardt
Honored Contributor

Hi,

HSG Element Manager was only available on the Storage Management Appliance, a dedicated Server for SAN Management (which I think is discontinued). SMI-S for EMA requires HSG Element Manager. If you don't have one of these servers, then you won't be able to manage your HSG-based array using storage essentials.

"Does not support provisioning or events" means you cannot use the Provisioning part of SE - which means you would create/delete LUNs, etc, the normal way (via CLI, HSG Element Manager or SWCC), and you cannot get any error messages from the HSG80 over SE. You could just see the the Storage sets, LUNs, host utilisation and see the device correctly displayed in System Explorer.

To discover the switch, you should check the Installation Guide for SE about ensuring certain parameters are set correctly on the switch. During the discovery process you should see something about "Enabling Brocade Element Manager" in the logs. Make sure the username and password for the switch are entered in the Discovery Setup.

Regards,
Stephen
Advisor

Hello Stephen,

thank you very much for your fast answer. For the MA8000 I use the Command Console (CLI). There are a way with this tool to use SMI-S?

To discover the switches I have the problem, that I cannot set anything? (see attachment) There are another setup?

Best regards
M. Longardt
Honored Contributor

Hi,

at the moment I don't have an installed SE 5.0 to check, I am at a customer's site using Hitachi's version of the AppIQ software, which is not as up-to-date as HP's. I see in your screenshot that there is no "Discovery" option in the menu bar at the top. I think the SE user guide says you should discover your switches in System Insight Manager first. Then they should appear in SE so you can get details. The software I'm using has it's own discovery setup. I guess combining SE with SIM means you setup the disovery only in SIM, in order to avoid duplication.

And I don't think you can get SMI-S for HSG running in your setup. It needs HSG Element Manager. Sorry :-(

Regards,
Stephen
Advisor

Hello Stephen,

thank you very. I have discovered the switches in my SIM 5.0, and so I think that they must appear in SE, too. (see attachment) But it dosen't happen!

Mmh, any good idea?

Best regards from Germany,
M. Longardt
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I assume you already installed the SIM Connector for Storage Essentials.
Just read this from the SIM Technical Reference Guide, under "Changes to HP Systems Insight Manager Storage
Functionality when HP Storage Essentials is Installed"

- A shared collection called Storage Essentials Systems is added to the Systems & Events
panel.
- The following collections are included under Storage Essentials Systems: All SE Systems,
SE Servers, SE Switches, SE Storage Arrays, SE Tape Libraries, and SE Cluster Nodes.

But you have the switches under "All Storage Switches", and not SE Switches. Maybe you can try deleting them in SIM and rediscover them (or manually discover them). Did you discover the switches before or after installing SE?

Schoene Gruesse,
Stephen
Advisor

Hello Stephen,

I have delete the switches and discover them new with the same result. And I discovered them after I installed SE and SIM. Interesting: When I discover the switches SE shows only "pending" (see attachment).

Viele Gruesse
M. Longardt
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event