Storage Essentials Practitioners Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Storage essentials 6.0 - SP 4 question about SAN devices failure reporting??

Occasional Contributor

Storage essentials 6.0 - SP 4 question about SAN devices failure reporting??

[ Edited ]

Hi everybody, I have installed storage essentials enterprise edition 6.0 and applied the SP 4 the software is integrated with HP SIM 5.3, I did the SIM and SE discovery and it seems to be OK, but when I did some testings, I found that Storage Essentals does not detect or give any kind of message when I disconnect or disable a FC cable or switch port from the EVA 4400 which we are monitoring, the same is for servers windows ... hp ux .. we shutdown the servers or disconnect FC cables and Storage Essentials does not report the failures on the event manager or in the topology map, we review the events on each device and SE marks everything OK, In HP SIM the server failures are being reported and some of the events of the EVA are showed on the events section of the Command View Appliance, but this is in HP SIM,

Does anybody knows if there is a limitation on Storage Essentials about failure events reporting???

Or all the failure events related to storage arrays or servers must be monitored and viewed forcefully on HP SIM???

I reviewed the documentation an I have not found any information about this issue

Thanks in advance

P.S. This thread has been moved to Storage Essentials Support and News Forum. - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES
Advisor

Re: Storage essentials 6.0 - SP 4 question about SAN devices failure reporting??

I run the HDS version of SE and as the storage doesn't actually tell you of a failure, we had to setup rules where the switch alerted us of a link down for the port that storage used. Umm.. right. So, we spent a fortune on software that does not (automatically without extra configuration) even tell us when we lose a storage port.

The servers all have HDLM on them and there is an upgrade to HGLAM (HDS only) that sends an snmp trap if the port on the server goes offline. Switch port correlation is good for that. But, millions and millions of dollars in storage that can't tell us a port has gone offline.. What a joke..

SE (HSSM) was purchased because our SAN is so big its unwieldly. Don't worry, EMC Control Centre is not any better. However, Smarts might be worth looking at if you want to spend more money.

SE depends on other systems and then doesn't do a good job on that either.
Occasional Contributor

Re: Storage essentials 6.0 - SP 4 question about SAN devices failure reporting??

Thanks for the response, We also think that real time failure monitoring must be an "out of the box" funcionality, without need of doing extra configuration, specially since that kind of events must be considered by the SE software as a "Critical" availability events, I know that the previous version of the software (OV SAM - Storage Area Manager) was able of doing that, when a fc port was down, that software showed a visual alarm in the topology map of the san environment, we hope that this functionality will be fixed or included as soon as possible in SE software's recent releases.