Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

somdbmgr status shows up repeatedly while starting/stopping somjboss

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Advisor

somdbmgr status shows up repeatedly while starting/stopping somjboss

What is the reason that while starting/stopping somjboss returns somdbmgr running status repeatdly before completing action.

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP BTO Software\nonOV\Postgres\bin>ovstop -c somjboss
Name PID State Last Message(s)
somaction 7768 DONE Exited due to user request
somjboss 3344 DONE Exiting due to user request.
somdbmgr 1476 RUNNING Database available.
somjboss 3344 SENT_SIGTERM Timed out trying to stop. Now sendin
g SIGKILL(9).

4 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: somdbmgr status shows up repeatedly while starting/stopping somjboss

Hello Tejendra,

You ask a very good question and I've wondered myself sometimes.

I was just talking with engineering and they are going to confirm.

Basically, the process waits for child threads to complete the task of stopping services.  Periodically it checks on the status of the child threads.  When it checks, it provides the status of this child thread process.

The SOMDBMGR process is the application interface with the database.  This would be one of the last processes to stop after the SOMJBOSS process stops.

Again, enginering will confirm that this is the process.  I'll let you know the answer that they provide.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Advisor

Thanks for clarification mark.

I will also await engineering's comment on this.

HPE Expert

Hello Tejendra,

Thank you for your patience.  I finally got the following response from engineering concerning this question.

Sorry for the delay in response. This is by design of the NNM framework. We may call it as a design flaw but below is the answer for your question.

SOMJBOSS process is dependent on SOMDBMGR service. When a stop request is issued for SOMJBOSS service the processes which are dependent on SOMJBOSS will be stopped first and then the SOMJBOSS service will be stopped. In the process of stopping SOMJBOSS process, if too many threads are active and busy processing, it tries to stop the threads one by one. In the case where a few threads are too busy doing something then they won’t respond back to the stop request. In the process of stopping the SOM services, OVSPMD process keeps checking for the state of the currently running processes. In this case SOMDBMGR responds back quickly with running state and SOMJBOSS doesn’t respond back. This will be printed as part of the console.

I agree that when we are stopping SOMJBOSS there is no point in printing the SOMDBMGR status but it’s just that OVSPMD checks for all of the running services status. However, there will not be any impact on the SOMDBMGR process while stopping the SOMJBOSS process alone

I hope that this helps answer your question.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Advisor

Hi Mark ,

Thanks for the nice explaination.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event