1753513 Members
5235 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CODELOAD DISK in SSSU EVA4400

Wayne Gillan
Advisor

CODELOAD DISK in SSSU EVA4400

We want to upgrade the firmware on our disk drives on our EVA4400. When using Command View to try it won't allow us do this on disks that are part of a raid0 group. The exact error message is, "Status: Drive code load - The disk cannot be code loaded because disk is part of a RAID0 group. Failure during load may cause data loss."

It's possible to perform the codelode using SSSU, but in the release notes it states, "If you use the CODELOAD DISK command to upgrade firmware on multiple disk drives, an error is not displayed for disks configured with VRaid 0."

Because we have a data recovery site with all our systems mirrored on our second eva we don't care if a disk fails during the upgrade.

Will the SSSU "CODELOAD DISK" command work on a disk with raid0? Or will it just fail without giving an error message?
3 REPLIES 3
Wayne Gillan
Advisor

Re: CODELOAD DISK in SSSU EVA4400

Sorry, that should've been in the Disk Array or Disk sections.
Santhosh D
Valued Contributor

Yes, It should work and do follow the below steps to do the codeload.

Examples show how to do a coad load.

The following command loads file FW34.lod on Disk 001:

CODELOAD DISK ├в c:\ FW34.lod├в DISK= ├в Disk 001├в

The following command loads the firmware image on all disks. All the required .lod files are located
in the c:\firmware\codeload folder.

CODELOAD DISK ├в c:\firmware\codeload├в
Wayne Gillan
Advisor

I opened a support case on this and it won't work. This is the reply I recieved from HP.

-------------
As from the case notes I can understand that you are trying to upgrade the firmware of the disks which are part of the RAID 0 volumes.

And you wanted to know if you tried to upgrade the same through SSSU CODELOAD command and wanted to know how it behaves.

We can see that both the procedures are one and the same and SSSU just sends commands to CV, and CV does the operation.

So even if you try upgrading the firmware, you should get the error returned.

The alternate way of upgrading the F/W of the disks on VRAID0 are below

1) If there is a license, then you could try a snapclone to vraid5, this might be quicker than backup and restore procedure.

2) Remove the vraid0 vdisks, upgrade and then re-create the same.
-------------

So all I can do is ungroup a few disks upgrade them, re-group them, wait for the EVA to level out and repeat.