108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Creating snapshot gives errors " do not belong to same volume group"

SOLVED
Go to solution
jose da silva
Frequent Advisor

Creating snapshot gives errors " do not belong to same volume group"

When we extended a clustered volumegroup " HP-UX 11i v3" the snapshots now keep on failing , error doing vgchid says " do not belong to the same volume group".
Originaly we had no problems creating snapshots for backup purposes " see attached file" until we added a new LUN to extend the volume group.

Is there a workaround this problem without having to delete the current Volume group and create it with a large LUN then restore the data?

Please advise
4 REPLIES 4
Aparna Nambiar
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Re: Creating snapshot gives errors " do not belong to same volume group"

Hi,

This is not an issue on SSSU, this error is thrown by the Logical Volume Manager (LVM) on HP-UX.

The following URL contains a discussion pertaining to this on the forum for HP-UX which might be of help

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1279699201136+28353475&threadId=1438924

Regards,
Aparna
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I don't see any error in your attached file, but however, if the VG has several disks, you need to specify them while doing vgchgid:

/usr/sbin/vgchgid PhysicalVolumePath [PhysicalVolumePath] ...

man vgchgid

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
jose da silva
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Torsten and Nambiar for your reponces.
I have tried including all the disk using the legacy device files and also with the persistance device files and I still get the error. Later I will run SysInfo and send the attached file so that you can have a look at the lvm and vg information.

I am going to check once again the file systems as suggested, and will give feedback.

Best Regards,
Jose da Silva

jose da silva
Frequent Advisor

Hello Torsten and Nambiar

You were correct it is not a SSSU issue but a lvm issue. The solution was to run the unix cmd vgcfgbackup on the vg in question. The reason for the problem was the following:- After the successfull extension of the volume group and saving the lvm configuration the lvm structures were later changed and vgcfgbackup was not executed during these last changes.

THANKS