Storage Software
1753499 Members
4852 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: [EVA 5000/8000] Possible to query EVA configuration?

SOLVED
Go to solution
wrkoppen

[EVA 5000/8000] Possible to query EVA configuration?

As the administrator of multiple EVA 5000 and 8000 systems I often find myself wondering whether it is possible to query the EVA configuration information?

Example1: I might be interested in an overview of all disks that are not presented to any host.
Example2: I'd like to see whether there are hosts that are connected to the san by merely one port (finding out which servers are not connected redundantly).

Command View EVA offers the information in a certain format, but doens't allow you to alter the way the information is displayed, eventhought it isnt always what i'm looking for.

The SSSU provides a commandline way of approacing the information but does nothing more than list the complete set of info you requested. It doesn't allow for any conditional statements.

Is there anyway I can substract information from the EVA like I can with a SQL database?

SELECT * FROM 'Virtual Disks' WHERE vdisk_size > 100GB;

P.S. This thread has been moved from  Disk Array to HP Storage System Scripting Utility (SSSU). -HP Forum Moderator

19 REPLIES 19
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
yes you can run the sssu commands create the output file and then parse it via perl or any other scripting language
the pain is one part of the reality
wrkoppen

Ofcourse, great idea.

Thought I was hoping for a more flexible and direct way to acces and filter the info.

Anyone else?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Parsing SSSU native output is a lot of work and a moving target, beleive me...

Even using SSSU's "XML" output and writing your own reporting is a lot of work, beleive me...

However, after some minor modifications of SSSU's XML, you can use Microsoft's LogParser.
The trick is to enclose the "object" tags, e.g.:

data Disk001

data Disk001

Then you can write a simple query, e.g. to find out which disk drive module number is at which position:
+-----one-line:
"C:\Programme\Log Parser 2.2\LogParser.exe" -i:XML "SELECT DISTINCT shelfnumber,diskbaynumber,modelnumber FROM disks.xml ORDER BY shelfnumber,diskbaynumber"
+-----

Or list all virtual disks larger than 10 GBytes, largest first:
+-----
"C:\Programme\Log Parser 2.2\LogParser.exe" -i:XML "SELECT DISTINCT objectname,allocatedcapacity INTO vdisks.lis FROM vdisks.xml WHERE allocatedcapacity > 10 ORDER BY allocatedcapacity DESC" -o:NAT
+-----

I've put the output into an attachment to retain the formatting.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Do you have a boss? I'm sure you have.
Does he like graphics? I bet!

Lets give him one:
+-----
"C:\Programme\Log Parser 2.2\LogParser.exe" -i:XML "SELECT DISTINCT SUBSTR(objectname,15),allocatedcapacity INTO vdisks.gif FROM vdisks.xml WHERE allocatedcapacity > 10 ORDER BY SUBSTR(objectname,15)" -o:CHART -chartType:Column3D -chartTitle:"Virtual Disks larger than 10GB"
+-----

Again, see attachment for the output.
wrkoppen

Oh this is really nice.

Far better then trying to select the information from the xml file with JavaScript and XSL.

Thnx
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, it is very nice, however, there is a limitation if you want more advanced queries:

E.g. if you use "SELECT ... FROM vdisk.xml, host.xml" - it will just append the data as LogParser cannot create a
'cartesian product' ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_product ).
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

I've posted elsewhere some xslt examples I use to create web page output. With some minor modes you could make a web page to do various queries... xslt is kind of a PITA to use however, if you ask me.

Also, as Uwe alluded to, they keep changing the format of SSSU's output which breaks anything that anyone writes to process it. Annoying!
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
wrkoppen

Question about the use of the Log Parser 2.2.

I'm having dificulty selecting certain attributes, suchs as a hosts' port wwn. The problem here lies with nested architecture of the xml file. Since the wwn is to be found at object\fcadapterport\port\portwwn\

Therefor the ports are not one the valid field for the Log Parser to work with. Can anyone tell me how to overcome this?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hm, I don't see this problem.

LogParser.exe -i:XML -rtp:-1 -stats:OFF "SELECT DISTINCT objectname,portwwn FROM host.xml"

...gives me a nice listing of the Host-path and WWNs. I've tried it with SSSU V6 and V8 outputs and single vs. dual-ports.