108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to "install" sssu on non CViewEVA windows host

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

How to "install" sssu on non CViewEVA windows host

I've got the CView EVA 8.0 executable, but seek to install the 8.02 one. I don't want to install all of CView just to install sssu.

Ideas?

I could just copy the exe from the CView 8.02 host I suppose, but isn't there a cleaner way?
9 REPLIES 9
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

That should work, as the binary for Unix systems is distributed as an stand alone command.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Check also the installation guide, it just points you to the location of the file:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00605845.pdf
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

I'll give points tomorrow in case there is a more formal method of using the 802 install kit without having to install cview and/or 800 then 801.. etc.

I did look to see if I could just pick the sssu exe when running 802 kit, but it just stops because it wants me to have 800 first...

If I look at installer for 800, it doesn't have an option just to pick sssu that I can see.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Question: Why install SSSU 8.02 and not Command View 8.02? CV 8.02 is needed for the recent EVA4400 firmwares for example, and has important bug fixes.
What's more, why not go for CV 9 and SSSU 9?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Good question ;-)

Except for some special situations (e.g. working around bugs) CV and SSSU really should match in version numbers.

I have seen that a support case was put on temporary hold because CV and SSSU versions did not match.
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

to clarify, I want a client out in the field to have sssu for scripting purposes (e.g. backups) but I didn't want to install the full cview to get it...

the 800 kit comes with a folder of 800 sssu exe's...

but...

you try to find a loose 802 .exe anywhere... no go... except by stealing it from your san managment server which I finally ended up doing and it works fine.

that is what I was trying to do... avoid criss cross of versions
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

my point was that you have to install 802 cview on a san client to get sssu 802 (unless you just steal it from your cview server).

I think there should be a separate installer and/or a loose sssu exectuable provided with the patched versions, but that seems to not be done.

If you want to have your enterprise backup utility do some san stuff on a backup server, you need sssu... but maybe you don't want cvieweva... that clashes with cviewtl, etc, etc.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Adam,

I did a bit of digging, and found that it is possible to get the SSSU 8.0.2 from the 8.0.2 patch distribution, without having to have CV EVA installed.

If you run the 8.0.2 upgrade package, named "HP StorageWorks Command View EVA Software Suite.exe" on any Windows box, the InstallAnywhere bit extracts itself to your local temporary directory before displaying the Command View EVA splash screen.

Within this temporary directory there's a Resource1.zip file, that contains SSSU.EXE.

Locations will obviously vary depending on where the installer uncompresses to, but in my case it was here:

C:\Documents and Settings\rob_leadbeater\Local Settings\Temp\I1238089437\InstallerData\Disk1\InstData\Resource1.zip

If you navigate into this folder in the zip file you'll find the SSSU exe.

$_CVEVA_SRCFILES_ROOT_$/bin/win-32/InstalledFiles/sssu.exe

Before you click on OK in the CV EVA logo screen, copy that file to wherever you want it...

Cheers,

Rob
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Wow... Thanks!