Re: PolyServe 3.6.1 with MS SQL pack

Andrew Hodge
Occasional Advisor

PolyServe 3.6.1 with MS SQL pack

OS Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2
SQL Server 2000 SP4
PolyServe Server 3.6.1 (no hotfix)
PolyServe DB 3.6.1 (no hotfix)

Hi, I have been trying to install a SQL Server 2000 hotfix (Microsoft KB916287)(SQL2000-KB916287-v8.00.2187-x86x64-ENU.exe) using the polyserve 'upgrade SQL' menu option.

The upgrade always fails with the following error.

Error summary:
MEDPOL1
15502:Setup location not found: Could not access: D:\SQL2000-KB916287-v8.00.2187-x86x64-ENU.exe\x86\setup

The file D:\SQL2000-KB916287-v8.00.2187-x86x64-ENU.exe is on the root of the D drive

The file location in the polyserve product configuration is also correct.

Andrew Hodge

However there

6 REPLIES 6
Andrew Hodge
Occasional Advisor

No edit option on this forum. Please ignore the 'However there' at the end.
DonFerguson
Advisor

Is drive D: a shared PolyServe volume on all nodes?

If drive D: is not on a shared PolyServe volume, likely the hotfix file is not on drive D: of every node.

Are you connected to the PolyServe Management console via RDP on one of the nodes, or are you running Management Console on a desktop computer?
Andrew Hodge
Occasional Advisor

Hi thanks for the response. I have opened a support call so am progressing it there but for completeness I will respond here too.

I have tried the file on both a PSFS and NTFS drives. The above example was from a local NTFS drive but I was only going to install the hotfix on the the instance on this machine.

Support have asked me to update to 3.6.1 base hotfix 2 and 3.6.1 db hotfix 1. Neither have made any difference and am still experiencing the same error.

The /x86/setup appended to the end of the executable make me think this is a bug of some sort either with polyserve or with our setup here. The /x86/setup make me think polyserve is thinking this is a service pack install and not a hotfix. I definitely have selected hotfix from the product page.

If i get anything else from support I will post back here
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

run it manually on that instance on all of the nodes in the cluster.

Some hotfixes and service packs have issues with the multinode installer.
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

It is supported to run hotfixes and service packs manually on the affected notes and instances. This is sometimes a necessity. Remember polyserve does not install SQL any differently than the normal installer so running it manually is not a problem.
Andrew Hodge
Occasional Advisor

I thought I had already done this but for completeness. I have installed PolyServe MxDB 3.6.2 at HP supports recommendation and this resolves the issue with the multi node installer (MNI) and the sql server 2000 hotfixes. This issue is listed in the bug fixes for 3.6.2.

Many thanks to all who responded :D