1753719 Members
4748 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PolyServe SQL Server instance aliasing

Charlotte Bentley
Occasional Advisor

PolyServe SQL Server instance aliasing

I know I can set up an alias for either a default or a named instance, but I am wondering about defining an alias for a default instance that is being moved to PolyServe, while still allowing a named instance on the old server to keep running. Can I just stop the default instance on the old server? So far I have only set up an alias where the old server can be shut down.
3 REPLIES 3
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

Re: PolyServe SQL Server instance aliasing

The issue is that when you add the IP and instance to the instance aliasing the IP is then listened to by the polyserve cluster and if the original node is still on the network with the same IP you have 2 nodes with the same ip on the network and that is bad.
Charlotte Bentley
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the response. I think you have netted out the basis for my uncertainty. It just seemed to me like there would be some confusion somehow. HP Support said "this should not be a problem", but I don't think he read my question carefully enough to grasp that I wanted to leave one instance on the original server at the same time that I migrate another instance to PolyServe.
Tammy Lawson
Advisor

Yes, IP conflicts can be very bad. Connections would pick one server to try to connect to.

When setting up an alias, I usually rename the old server to, "*old" and then setup the alias on Polyserve. That way I can have access to my instances on the old server for migration, verifications, etc.