108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PolyServe roadmap?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brian Fitzgerald_1
Occasional Contributor

PolyServe roadmap?

Does anyone know if there is a roadmap available for PolyServe?

I'm having a hard time keeping management onboard with Poly since there appears to be no movement on upgrades, etc.

And the infrastructure team is pushing vSphere quite successfully over Poly.
14 REPLIES 14
Tom Nieman
Occasional Advisor

PALO ALTO, Calif., July 17, 2009

HP and IBRIX today announced a definitive agreement for HP to acquire IBRIX, a leading provider of enterprise-class file serving software that includes data protection, high-availability features and data management services for extreme scale-out, cloud and high-performance computing deployments.

Looks like HP will integrate their new jewel into the space Polyserve used to headline... IMHO
God Bless America
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

Windows or Linux ?

The Linux product recently had a update with a few replication feature as well as supporting newer versions of Linux

The windows product had a revision of 3.6.2 that supported SQL 2008.

Please contact your HP representatives and discuss what you need.

Tammy Lawson
Advisor

I got this note from our Polyserve implementer the other day. It mentions Polyserve 4.0, so I thought I'd share:

"Just a reminder├в ┬ж.the HotFix has been posted on the Web Site listed below├в ┬ж..

PolyServe version 3.6.2 support SQL 2008 on Windows 2003 SP2 or R2├в ┬ж.

I├в ve also been told that PolyServe version 4.0 that can run on Windows 2008 (SP2 only, R2 not supported at this time) will be released mid-March├в ┬ж.this version WILL NOT support SQL 2000, only SQL 2005 and SQL 2008."

Robert J. Horkay
Solution

The roadmap for sql on polyserve looks like a dirt road...go vsphere. HP bought it for the storage peice, support on sql is spotty at best. Look and research on the web, you'll be lucky to find anything about sql and polyserve, do the same for vsphere and the results will speak for themselves. SQL on Polyserve is very small unique niche and HP is not good at niche.
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

HP just released 4.0 for Polyserve for Windows that supports Windows 2008 Server
and SQL 2005/and 2008

Version 3.6.2 already supported SQL 2008

Manuals for 4.0 are finally out at http://www.hp.com/go/polyserve and select Support and Documents.
Rebus
Occasional Advisor

Yeah, so i just read i think most of the documentation for Verson 4.0 release and i am not impressed. It supports win2008, but not win2003? how am i supposed to upgrade my cluster. I am running 3.6.1 and it does not support win2008. 3.6.1 and 4.0 cannot coexist in the same cluster. Do i have to take down and replace my entire cluster? What a joke! Not much planning went in that one it seems. I am pretty upset, looks like i'm stuck with Win2003/3.6.1 till I ditch this whole thing and switch over to VMWare.
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

There is extensive documentation on how to do a upgrade.

Download the 4.0 docs

www.hp.com/go/polyserve

select support on the right and it should get you to the 4.0 documentation.
Rebus
Occasional Advisor

With all due, respect, Emil, did you read my posting? I said that i read all of the documentation and see no safe and viable update path.
My roadmap is to update to 3.6.2 so i can run SQL2008 and phase this thing out completely by mid 2013 when win2003 support ends, switching entirely to VMWare.
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

You must not have read the upgrade guide.

After you upgrade to 3.6.2 to upgrade to 4.0

1. Take the sysetm with the highest IP
2. backup the polyserve configuration
3. Install the new OS
4. install 4.0 on the new node
5. export configuration to new node

Therefore you have 4.0 on the new node and 3.6.2 on the other nodes.

Repeat for next highest IP address.