108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Polyserve CFS and SAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Polyserve CFS and SAN

The HP polyserve offerings are intriguing. I can't seem to find a link to an Admin guide or Install guide or User guide (so I can see what is possible with regard to CVM configuration, etc.)

Does anyone have a link to polyserve volume management? All I can find are market-tecture whitepapers.

Moreover, is it possible to mirror LUNs with the CVM volume manager or are you limited only to spans and stripes.

Motivation: mirror across arrays; split/re-sync mirror to facilitate easy online moves among arrays--UNIX/Veritas-style (vs. CA)
6 REPLIES 6
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor
Solution

You are obviously looking for the manuals, right?
You find them here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=470316

To get there you would select the product (in this case the Clustered Gateway) then under Support you click on "Support for your product" and then you select "Manuals"

You can currenly stripe but not mirror across arrays like Veritas etc.

However: Filesystem based replication is planned in an upcoming release this year!

For more in depth info I suggest you contact your HP sales office or HP partner and ask for presales support!

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Yes, I've got a salesmeeting planned, but I could save them/me time/frustration if I read the manuals first. Thanks much, too bad about no mirror.
Ken Hamilton_1

Another place to look is:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=3435148

The title on the page,once you get there, is mis-leading(I've submitted a problem report to the web master) But this site also has info on the SQL utility.
johnCatBE
Advisor

Adam

We use Polyserve Matrix CA (Continuous Assistance ??) to mirror volumes across distinct EVA's at our site.

This is block level replication - my background is in using the unix vertias volume management s/w to mirror across sun fibre channel arrays.

I'm unsure what the Posting by Peter referred to in the sense of file system mirroring across arrays ... perhaps he'd elaborate.

john
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Well, you can always do array based mirroring with for example EVA CA (Continuous Access).
This is block-based between the arrays. If you want to fail over you need to present the target volumes in the destination datacenter to the respective servers and restart.

With the upcoming release the Polyserve filesystem will be capable of logical replicaton across the network.

Cheers Peter
I love storage
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

Polyserve assumes the luns you present to it are already highly available and protected by the disk array.

You can replicate between the disk array or create snapshots or snapclones using the disk array. Polyserve has some features to do this for EVA disk arrays only.